PDA

View Full Version : Espiritu Santo Bay Lodge report

Lee Haskin
09-18-2017, 09:29 AM
As we all know, saltwater flats fishing is all about the weather, and my recent trip to Espiritu Santu Bay was no exception. We had 6 days of perfect weather, and the fishing was incredible.

I was able to fish ESB 2 years ago, but with only 4 permits, for ESB, I only fished the bay 2 days. Now that the operation has been moved closer to the bay, and they have secured 4 more permits, folks can now fish ESB every day, with some of the best guides, and boats found anywhere!
My bucket list for the week: Catch at least 2 permit; and jump a couple of big tarpon, catch a snook, a few bonefish, and catch a few baby tarpon. (I love fly fishing venues where you have a variety of species!)

Well I ended up catching 4 permit one day, for a total of 7 permit for the week! Incredible!

We had one glassy morning, and I was able to locate and catch one 70 lb. adult tarpon...the only big tarpon caught.

We caught a number of "baby" tarpon to 35 lbs., and as many 3-4 lb. bonefish, (yes, they were that big!), as we wanted.

Multiple shots at snook to 20 lbs., with several brought to hand that topped 15 lbs.

Dane Emerson is running a great fishing operation at ESB Lodge, and his wife, Chiara, is a great host around the lodge.

With only a 10 minute drive to the bay, and a 1 hour and 15 minute plan ride, to and from Cancun; ESB Lodge provided perhaps the best week of saltwater flat fishing (of course the weather was the key!), I have ever experienced. Given the venue, the price was very good too, and I recommend folks check out ESB, with The Fly Shop!

I think Bill Kiene has a trip planned to ESB as well, and if you can make only one trip next year, this is the place!

For more pictures and story, check out by blog:
www.leehaskin.blogspot.com

Cheers,
Lee

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Espiritu Santo Bay Lodge is one of the best salt water flats destinations right now.

Thanks for the great report Lee.