PDA

View Full Version : Getting people started in our fine sport of fly fishing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-18-2017, 07:45 AM
Many years ago some old timers from the Greatest Generation took us Baby Boomers fly fishing.

The person who got more people going around Sacramento was retired Sacramento City Fire Fighter Joe Shirshac.

In the 1950s Joe took other fire fighters with him to the Klamath and Trinity Rivers in the Fall for Steelhead.

In the 1970s Joe took many of us to the Klamath River getting us bonded with fly fishing and the Klamath River.

Joe Patterson, retired Cortland Line Company Rep took many of us up to Oregon to expose us to it's great lake fly fishing on Crane Prairie Reservoir and others too.

My brother Dick and I took Paul Keel and Galen Geller to the Pit River in the Fall to Deep Creek Campground.

Al Perryman took Craig Ziegler and I to the Eel River for winter Steelhead which changed our lives forever.

In my 50 years in the fishing tackle business I help many get going in some cases by taking them outside the shop in the parking lots for 5 minutes worth of casting instruction.

We have always taken willing victims down to the American for Half-pounders as a way to get them started.

Last night I took my grandson and our doctor's son, both college students, out for Half-pounders on the American.

I worked on their casting and then did some swinging for those little steelhead.

No luck but I do think they learned something......

Mr T
09-18-2017, 09:27 AM
Passing it on- good on you Bill. You got me started some 20 plus years back

Steve S
09-19-2017, 12:35 AM
Hey Bill,
You just laid out a lot of history there, when are you going to write a book?