PDA

View Full Version : Trinity River?

PV_Premier
09-15-2017, 01:32 PM
I've seen some pictures recently out of the Trinity depicting some action, but the information in recent online reports isn't very thorough. Are there fish being caught above/upstream Junction City right now? Trying to decide whether a quick trip up is warranted next weekend.

Mark Kranhold
09-15-2017, 11:01 PM
The internet!! What happened before it? It's pretty much scoured our fisheries. Sorry for my thoughts, but it's real!

NCL
09-16-2017, 06:32 AM
Mark,

A friend picked up a hatchery fish about a week and half ago. The club did the fly only water and nothing but was even more note worthy is they did not see any salmon.

Peter S
09-16-2017, 07:17 AM
I was up there yesterday (Thurs) in the DC area and while there are adults and 1/2 pounders in the system, you have to cover lots of water to find one willing to grab. After hours of swinging, I finally got a 16" wild chromer to eat my fly.

Traffic controls are still in place so getting downriver below JC will result in delays. Next rains should perk things up and help get those fires contained!

PV_Premier
09-16-2017, 07:43 AM
Mark, what's the difference in posting here versus calling the Trinity FS and asking the same question?

I'm replying somewhat in jest. I was careful not to ask anything more than a yes or no question for this exact reason ;)

My time on the water is limited and valuable so of course I'm gonna seek basic intel before embarking on a long drive!

I appreciate the info shared here, it was more detail than I needed or expected. Thanks!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-16-2017, 09:02 AM
I would fish from Willow Creek down stream in Sept/Oct.

This is where Herb Burton and his guides are usually fishing early on.

http://www.trinityflyshop.com/

I think Jason Hartwick will be guiding in the Hoopa reservation water this time of year.

http://steelheadonthespey.com/

chixnribs
09-18-2017, 08:12 PM
Fished Bucktail/Steel last week with a friend. He caught a half dozen smolt swinging and I caught 3 nice 1/2ers dredging. Water was clear and only saw one adult move.

Siskiyoublues
09-19-2017, 10:46 PM
If you go you might catch one. If you don't you probably won't.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-19-2017, 11:29 PM
If you go you might catch one. If you don't you probably won't.

So, So true........

When I had my first little fly shop and I waited on anglers all day long I use to say about every 6 trips you should hit it right at least once.