PDA

View Full Version : Any Heenan reports?

k9mark
09-12-2017, 04:12 PM
Haven't heard anything yet this season. Any reports?

ARichcrook
09-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Water on the opener (delayed 1 week by Slinkard fire) was 68 degrees and as clear as it ever gets. Fishing was so so. Heard one guy say he caught 13 or 14 but i have my doubts about his definition vs mine of caught. All the usual stuff got some grabs. Rain and hail storm for a little over 2 hrs on that day in the afternoon sent all but myself and maybe 4 others away.
Heard from a friend that Sunday was about the same catching wise. Should get better with the cooler night time temps that are starting now.

Rich

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-14-2017, 10:36 AM
I always recommend October for Heenan Lake those who can only go once......

**I am guessing it is still open yearly Sept/Oct on Wed/Sat/Sun.........? Wrong........

Correction:

It's open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, sunrise to sunset from the first Friday before Labor day to the last Sunday in October.

Thanks GCL

GLC
09-14-2017, 12:56 PM
Bill; Its open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, sunrise to sunset from the first Friday before Labor day to the last Sunday in October.

Arichcrook; not sure what your definition of "caught" is? I personally saw and counted a friend landing 14 and he in turned saw myself land 12. Heenan lake can be tough at times......using "All the usual stuff" for a few grabs may have contributed to your definition of "so so" fishing and doubts of others success.

Woodman
09-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Maybe you could help all of us out with your "unusual" but successful methods...

ARichcrook
09-16-2017, 01:59 PM
Bill; Its open on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, sunrise to sunset from the first Friday before Labor day to the last Sunday in October.

Arichcrook; not sure what your definition of "caught" is? I personally saw and counted a friend landing 14 and he in turned saw myself land 12. Heenan lake can be tough at times......using "All the usual stuff" for a few grabs may have contributed to your definition of "so so" fishing and doubts of others success.

Nice "report"

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-16-2017, 02:30 PM
I guess we hate to admit that some people, averagely, catch more fish than most.

I have fished with and around these people with an unusual ability to catch fish when other are not doing well.

I am not one of those people....I rely on luck.

I still think most would have better luck in October.

Morgan
09-16-2017, 07:48 PM
I went 8 for 15 last Saturday. The fish are quick and will spit if ya dont get a quick set.
I heard it was a tad slow today.
Put your time in and switch it up till ya figure it out.
They are picky....but not too picky. Observe your surroundings.

cdevine
09-16-2017, 08:10 PM
Nice job Morgan. That will get you in the HOF if it was baseball. On a serious note Call the anglers edge in Gardnerville and talk to Liz or Don. They are honest and very friendly and will provide an accurate report or at least steer you in right direction. Good local shop and many of their clients fish it. I don't personally but its on my bucket. I can't get into the still water stuff....

Woodman
09-21-2017, 07:16 PM
I used to work with a guy who told me he held the record on Heenan Lake, 78 fish landed in a day. He wasn't very clear on who kept track of this record?

Morgan
09-24-2017, 07:00 PM
I used to work with a guy who told me he held the record on Heenan Lake, 78 fish landed in a day. He wasn't very clear on who kept track of this record?

That would be down right ridiculous!
NOt to say that's not possible...but a good story one might add.
How do you even keep track of that many fish without a counter?

Friday was good for me with the cloudy calm weather. But shit was it cold! A bit of snow as well.
I had 13 to hand on friday. That's my best day out there so far.

One thing I will add....When the fish are showing themselves in the top couple feet of the water column why does everyone still insist on fishing sink line? I paid out some good fish karma on Friday and handed an older gentlemen a couple flies I tied the night before. He was struggling while watching me beat on em good. So I gave him a few bugs and a few words on my paddle back to the car for lunch. After lunch once I got back out he had already landed one and missed one. Seeing his stoke was payment enough for me. Like a kid on Christmas.

cdevine
09-24-2017, 07:34 PM
I fished the EW Friday and drove by Heenan on the way home through a little snow, hail, and sleet during the decsent over monitor pass. I would say there was a good 8-10 trucks in the parking lot around 430pm and some below where the road leads up from. Sounds like it has fished pretty well for you and a few of the other peeps I've talked to this year. Not sure on the sinking line especially when fish aren't deep. I rarely use it on any water to be honest. Nothing like a happy angler hooking up.

78 fish is absurd btw. For one, why would you even count? I've had days where I probably hooked 25+ fish but I certainly don't bother with recalling if it was 28 or 29. And I know it wasn't 78! To be be honest I rarely count at all. We all know if we've been skunked or if fishing was slow or great. Just my perspective.