PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for fishing light with small flies for big trout........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-08-2017, 02:25 PM
In my lifetime I have been able to fish with several veteran fly fishers who fished lighter tan most.

Hal Janssen, Bob Giannoni, Fred Gordon, Chuck Campana and Chris Pasley all shared their ideas about fishing light with me.

They seem to fish the lightest, softest fly rod and fly line size that would allow them to deliver the fly.

They all seemed to light the click-n-pawl English fly reels with the smooth light drag.

They seem to fish mostly floating lines too, even in lakes.

This way they were hooked to the fish with a really light system.

I went to British Columbia in the spring a few years ago to fish with Chris Pasley who know all that Kamloops area well.

I had a 9' #5 weight and a 9' #6 weight 4 piece outfits that had a fairly fast action.

Chris did not really my choices.

He had two each 9' #4 line 2 piece soft action fly rods with click-n-pawl reels.

To fish the way he does you have to be a pretty good caster.

flounder
09-10-2017, 08:35 AM
Hi Mr Kiene. Thank you for resetting my password.

I like this type of fishing too, but i get the impression that its better to go to "the heaviest" outfit that would work so you can get the fish in quickly without putting too much stress on the fish. Thoughts?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Good Flounder....

That is true but these guys are using averagely 5x/6x tippet in #2/3/4 line super soft rods so they can land big trout without breaking off.

You are right though....

Tippet diameter is one of the limiting factors on how fast you can land a fish, not matter how large or strong your rod is.

The other variable is using different angles when fightng fish to move them around and get them tired.

Also, I believe we should be using the "heaviest" tippet the fish will bite, even if it is 6x.