PDA

View Full Version : Flies to use on the East and West Carson River near Markleeville

JohnO
09-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Hello All,

Looking to do some fishing soon on the East and West Carson near Markleeville.

Could anyone suggest what type of dry and subsurface flies to use?

Thanks, John

cdevine
09-07-2017, 02:58 PM
John,

Both are pretty heavily stocked and most likely will not be that pressured now that labor day is past us. I like to fish the West Carson around sunset using caddis and small yellow sallie type patterns. Honestly the fish aren't that picky and it's not that technical. You can also go with a hopper and tie off a smaller beachhead mayfly pattern. That is fun. I would use a 3 wt on the WC if you have one and stay away from the bridges.

The East is bigger water and you can do well tossing buggers in a variety of colors. (Black, olive, white). Flows are perfect at 200 CFS and the river is wide open with cold clear water. Nymphing under a medium size indo with a generic stone fly and red Copper John dropper works. The other week I fished around dusk and got some nice fish on terrestrial patterns (ants/beetles). East Carson is more 4-5wt stuff.

Good luck. IF anything else it shouldn't be that crowded.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-07-2017, 10:04 PM
Just had a report that the West Carson River was good for one of our guys.

cdevine
09-08-2017, 02:11 PM
Nice to hear Bill. I might make it up next week. Its really a beautiful setting as we head into Fall.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-10-2017, 02:20 PM
I did have a "WC" guy, some years ago, who used a Zug Bug (peacock herl) nymph on the West Carson River.