PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Annual Kiene’s American Fly Fishing Fly Tying Festival, Oct. 21, 2017, Saturday,

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-06-2017, 07:48 AM
Hello everyone.

If you did not have the opportunity to see Forrest Oldham’s Presentation on “Why I Fly Fish”, you missed out on a spiritual journey of/in the sport, and art, of fly fishing. From equipment, places, and people, he traveled through time sharing of the valuable things and people he has meet, and done. We saw many pictures of forrest as he began his journey as a child to present. One of those pictures was Forrest at the vise as a Master Typer. Many of you do not know that Forrest is a fly tier of EXPERT level.

He tried to convey that conservation and the sharing of what we know and do as fly fisher people needs to be shared with other people so that they can enjoy what we have worked hard to preserve and keep for the next generation.

Thank you Forrest. I got it……

On a second point, I am seeking a handful of CFFU volunteers to work alongside with Forrest and Ken Geisser at:

the 2nd Annual Kiene’s American Fly Fishing Fly Tying Festival, Oct. 21, 2017, Saturday, 10 AM to 4 PM. Here are the details:

1. The Event is the 2nd year in a row that the store has put this on.
2. Many of the fly tyers that tied at the “Fly Fishing Show in Pleasanton”, will be present. Names like:

a. Jay Murakoshi
b. Ben Byng
c. Steve Potter (both Ben and Steve are Whiting Pro Staff Representatives
d. John Ryanych
e. Dave Kruss
f. Angel Lujan
g. Others not committed as of yet
h. Mike Henle, a local tier, has just been asked to tie at next year’s Fly Fishing Show, so good for him! Congrats Mike!

3. We will have many other EXPERT Level fly tyers from the 3 local fly fishing clubs, notably John Daniels, Jim Berdan and Joe Bania from CFFU. All together, there will be approximately 16 fly tyers to learn and observe from

NOTES FOR THE YOUTH:

1. For the first 15 youths 16 years old and below, there will be a monetary give away Sponsored by Joe Bania. They need to see him tying at the bench FOR DISTRIBUTION

2. CFFU’s own Gary Howard is overseeing the YOUTH FLY TYING. He is in the process of seeking out 2 hour shifts, 10 AM to 12 noon, 12 noon to 2 PM, and 2 - 4 PM. Gary will provide all of the fly tying equipment and materials to instruct the Youth how to tie “the ALMIGHTY WOOLLEY BUGGER”. Please contact him for questions and comments.

3. CFFU’S own Forrest Oldham and Ken Geisser, have volunteered to share FLY CASTING for/with the YOUTH. Again, the shifts are the same for time commitments, 10 AM to 12 noon, 12 noon - 2 PM, and 2-4 PM. Fly Casting for the Youth will be the primary responsibility, and if by chance, there are times where there are no YOUTH, then I am sure that the down time could be shared with adults wishing to cast a fly rod.

*** HERE IS WHERE YOU COME IN TO PLAY, CFFU MEMBERS - I seek at least one more person to volunteer for a time shift. Two people would be nice for any kind of rotation purpose. Kiene’s has a verrrrry long astro turf strip that we will utilized and we could actually go from each end towards to the center, so we could actually have 2 people per shift, but that is an ideal situation, and I seriously doubt if we would have YOUTH all day from both ends casting. That would be ideal. We will use Kiene’s fly rods from the fly casting class inventory, 9’ #5 4 pc Orvis Clearwater rods and dry fly weight forward lines.

This e-mail is a bit long winded, and I have shared all of the details. PLEASE contact me if you are interested in sharing what Forrest in his Presentation shared, “We need to share what we know to pass on to the next generation, what we have enjoyed, and worked hard to keep”.

Thank you all in advance for your consideration. CFFU is in part, Sponsoring this Event, in addition to Dr. Slick.

Fish on,

Tim Au-Young
work - 916.486.9958 ( He only works Monday, Thursday 10 AM to 6 PM, and Sundays 9 AM to 4 PM)
cell - 916.479.1049