PDA

View Full Version : Jet HP rating question

Brad Juan
08-31-2017, 08:57 PM
Hello all,

Looking at picking up a 1448 Lowe boat. It comes with a newer Mercury 4 stoke EFI motor with a "25 hp" and "Jet drive" decal on the back of the cowling. My question is, since this seems to be a jet from the factory jet motor is it actually 25 at the jet or is this still a power head rating. My understanding is a jet pump will cause approx. 30 percent power loss. I would hate to end up with a 1448 boat with two adults in it and only really have 15 or so HP of jet power.

Thanks for your time,

Brad

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-31-2017, 10:41 PM
The Mercury 4 stroke 25 hp Jet Drive is actually a 30 hp power head/prop.

If you don't overload that 1448 it should be fine.

The less weight you put in that hull the faster it will go.

Idadon
09-01-2017, 05:37 AM
Hey Brad...some years back I owned a similar rig. Caught a bunch of Snake River Trout by riffle-hopping. Don't expect a lot of speed out of it. One VERY important consideration is load distribution. If your motor is a tiller control look for an extension so you're positioned towards mid boat. Batteries and fuel in the stern can be a speed killer also. You want that boat as level in the water as you can get it. Check the impeller! If the previous owner was running really shallow water with small gravel the blades can be really chewed up and that's a speed killer too.

In answer: if it's a factory jet the rating is at the jet.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-01-2017, 07:49 AM
This is excellent advise.....

Brad Juan
09-01-2017, 09:35 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated!

Brad

Kenny
09-15-2017, 04:15 PM
I have a 1448 jonboat with 2 stroke Mercury 25 hp which I added a jet pump to so it is really 15-18 hp at the pump. It goes 12-16 mph upstream depending on current with two guys trolling motor battery and gear and I have a wood casting deck built into it. A real 25 hp at the pump should rip. Advantage is that you can go where the big jets can't during low flow conditions and if you do get stuck you just get out and try a different line. Enjoy!