PDA

View Full Version : Fish N' Chips

SST Flies
08-31-2017, 08:22 PM
After 45-years in the Northwest I am having a hard time finding good fish n' chips in the Sacramento area. The Elkhorn Saloon has been my favorite so far, but still looking for "that place" where I want to stop and eat once a week! Any recommendations?

Darian
09-03-2017, 10:34 PM
If you're located in Sacramento, you could try Finz Seafood on the south side of Fair Oaks Blvd near Howe Avenue. Another option is Crawdad's Marina Cafe on Garden Hwy west of I-5. Both serve fish n chips. I've tried the fish n chips at Finz, it was good with large portions and Cole slaw. Haven't tried them at Crawdads. Not sure whether fish n chips is served at the Virgin Sturgeon or not. There's always Long John Silvers.... ;)

johnsquires
09-04-2017, 04:18 PM
I haven't found it yet either. Last night I had F&C at 33rd St. Bistro. It was disappointing. I think it was tilapia, which was enough to make it disappointing. But the batter was mushy, which is an automatic fail on F&C. But here's my take on this: Once you've had halibut F&C, everything else is going to be an also-ran. Keep us posted if you find the F&C Holy Grail.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
09-04-2017, 04:50 PM
I might be buying another boat (15' aluminum V-bow Klamath) just to go to Lawson's Landing with our motor home to fish, clam and crab inside Tomales Bay for mostly halibut and an occasional Striper just to get some fresh ocean fish to eat.

Our son, daughter-in-law and grand kids just bought a new 22' trailer so looks like we will be RVing for a while longer.

Hard to find really fresh fish in a restaurant in California....

Jake B
10-05-2017, 03:52 AM
I might be buying another boat (15' aluminum V-bow Klamath) just to go to Lawson's Landing with our motor home to fish, clam and crab inside Tomales Bay for mostly halibut and an occasional Striper just to get some fresh ocean fish to eat.

Our son, daughter and grand kids just bought a new 22' trailer so looks like we will be RVing for a while longer.

Hard to find really fresh fish in a restaurant in California....

Best f n c is Phil's fish market in Moss Landing. One plate will feed 2 people. Also the Cioppino is great. He beat Bobby Flay in a throwdown

Fly Guy Dave
10-07-2017, 06:59 AM
Try 19 Handles Pub on the corner of Arden and Eastern in Sacramento. They have really good fish and chips.

donkeyhunter007
10-07-2017, 08:58 AM
my grandpa always said " if you cant see the ocean dont order the fish" seems to ring true in my life.... now even if you can see the ocean from the restaurant im mostly disappointed. When i do go to the store and buy fish i always ask to smell the fish first this usually avoids them trying to pawn off the old stinky pieces on me.

Idadon
10-07-2017, 10:29 AM
My 2 cents; fish & chips made with Halibut can be wonderful. But having spent a good portion of my Navy career on the Eastern Seaboard I'd have to say that F&C with Cod is just as good or better depend on the batter. Donkey hunter, my dad had a similar saying "If you can't smell the Salt............". He ordered Swordfish Steak one time in Amarillo Texas breaking with his own wisdom. As I recall he was sick for a week.

johnsquires
10-12-2017, 08:51 AM
My 2 cents; fish & chips made with Halibut can be wonderful. But having spent a good portion of my Navy career on the Eastern Seaboard I'd have to say that F&C with Cod is just as good or better depend on the batter. Donkey hunter, my dad had a similar saying "If you can't smell the Salt............". He ordered Swordfish Steak one time in Amarillo Texas breaking with his own wisdom. As I recall he was sick for a week.

We made a similar mistake in Iowa, ordering fish (I know, I know). And we ordered a bottle of wine. The waitress said "A whole bottle?" Well, the fish, of course, was awful - and the wine was worse and we couldn't drink it. The waitress cleaned up with a look like "I knew you couldn't drink a whole bottle." Ever since, I only order what the region is known for.

Scott V
11-28-2017, 12:41 PM
my grandpa always said " if you cant see the ocean dont order the fish" seems to ring true in my life.... now even if you can see the ocean from the restaurant im mostly disappointed. When i do go to the store and buy fish i always ask to smell the fish first this usually avoids them trying to pawn off the old stinky pieces on me.

One of the best sushi places I have eaten was in Moab. Sometimes you get lucky and find a diamond in the rough. They had fresh fish flew in every day, it was surprised because it was just a regular sushi place, nothing classy or expensive.

El Rey
11-28-2017, 05:13 PM
Check out a little dive called The Tugboat. On Fair Oaks Blvd near the turn from Manzanita.

Harlan