PDA

View Full Version : Straightening out intermediate lines

mattv-mcfly
08-30-2017, 09:03 PM
I've fished an intermediate line a few times now and even after attempting to stretch the line out so that it has less memory coils it still coils and is frustrating to fish with. Is there a better method to get the line more straightened out?

cyama
08-30-2017, 09:24 PM
Which line are you using. The Rio Camolux is the best one out there. It is much more expensive, but worth the money. There was a previous thread where some people were having problems, but I have been using one for about five years and the other about 3 years and both are still in as new condition. At the beginning of the season or after fishing a lake with slime you will need to clean it so it keeps shooting. The lines are different from normal dry lines, so sometimes water loading is more efficient. The people I see casting over the fish with a double haul ten times sometimes scare every fish on the lake....

mattv-mcfly
08-30-2017, 10:14 PM
I have the the Rio Camolux intouch. It's a great line when it's not coiling up. I just kept missing so many strikes on it I just switched to my floating line. When fishing it I'm not confident that I'll be able to hook a subtle take due to the memory.

cyama
08-30-2017, 11:07 PM
I have been following your blog and you seem to fish a lot of the same areas as I do. Yes the line does coil up and you will always have some tangles, but if you water load and just cast out 20-40 feet you will have less tangles. I am usually fishing from a float tube, so it all about line management. The key cast is the last cast. Get the line about a foot from shore. Subtle takes usually mean the wrong fly. Early in the morning and late in the evening I fish dry flies!! I switch to the camo int. line around 9 or 10 and use a 14-18 hares ear soft hackle. When bit it is anything but subtle. After that it back to dry fly callibaetis. Prior to the evening hatches go back to the intermediate more soft hackles that imitate caddis or leeches and buggers.

Darian
08-30-2017, 11:52 PM
I fish several intermediate lines (fresh & salt water) and have found that they all seem to coil until manually stretched. A friend once told me to soak the line overnight in water and that helped a bit, also.

One caution, I have lines that the core is made up of braided line while in the others the core is mono. I can't prove it but it seems to me that stretching some of the lines manually may cause the coating to separate over time. Like I say, I can't prove it and have only experienced that in the running line portion on a RIO Tropical Outbound Short (WF 9 I/S) after several years use. Now it's a shooting head.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-31-2017, 08:16 AM
If you are doing lots of blind casting try not to have any extra line pulled off your fly reel laying in the bottom of the boat.

Try to keep extra line to a minimum because many think this contributes to twisting.

If you are in an outboard powered skiff you can let the line out behind the boat while running without a fly on the end to sraighten the line.

Have you tried a casting bucket with water in the bottom?