PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Rolle- Sacramento Best sandwich in my 70 years.

JayDubP
08-30-2017, 01:03 PM
Wife & I drove from Bay Area to Sacramento last weekend to look at the Lower American access. Based on my visual observations at Watt Ave access & Howe Ave access, Bill was right that American should be at 2,000cfs to wade ( it was 3200+)

On the way we stopped at Café Rolle 54th and H St, in Sacramento (not too far from Sac State Univ). We had seen it on Diners, Drive Ins and Dives some time ago....

Best sandwich I have had in my 70 years.

Salmon, caramelized onions with chipotle mayo and melted gruyere cheese on a toasted baguette. Wife had cold salmon & dill sandwich on baguette. Can't tell you about wine & beer since it was 104* outside and I had a long drive ahead. We recreated it a home and waiter was right- the caramelized onions are the perfect fit for salmon (who'd know?)-- my new go to combo.

French chef/owner and 3 workers, all who spoke French. 10 or so tables with car parking for 6 cars...

Mine was $9.50, wife's was $6.50- If I lived in Sacramento area, I would not be posting this--- just like I would never post my honey holes..

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-30-2017, 07:21 PM
Thanks JD

We will have to try it......

Darian
08-31-2017, 12:01 AM
JayDubP,.... You found it!!! Since it's nearby, I eat there and across the street at Sellands every now & then. But, Cafe Rolle has hot & cold smoked fish on the menu and great salads. They even have smoked Sturgeon. Really like that place.... :cool:

johnsquires
09-01-2017, 09:44 PM
I was searching on line for "best restaurants in Sacramento" for my wife's upcoming birthday and Cafe Rolle came up high on the list on several sites. Thanks for the tip.

JayDubP
09-03-2017, 03:45 PM
I was searching on line for "best restaurants in Sacramento" for my wife's upcoming birthday and Cafe Rolle came up high on the list on several sites. Thanks for the tip.

Birthday lunch would be great- after the work crowd. They close at 3pm. We got there at 2p, had plenty of time & did not feel rushed. My wife said it was a place she would go with girl friends if we lived in the area. Plus with only 6 or so parking spaces, going later might assure a spot...at 2pm we got the only available spot.

Don't know about dinner--- it is not a nice "restaurant" with lots of ambiance... it is a neighborhood family sandwich shop/deli/diner... just with French chef/owner and employees. My wife loved it for lunch, but not sure her enthusiasm would be the same for a birthday dinner (or after....)

Tell them it is her birthday. do not know if they do anything, but it seems like the kind of place that might comp a dessert or ?

Let us know how you like it. Have a wonderful time for your wife's birthday.

Jim