PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts On Fishing The Eclipse?

SST Flies
08-17-2017, 02:36 PM
Wondering if the eclipse is going to throw my morning hatch off this coming Monday... I hope it doesn't throw things to out of balance for a few days. Maybe I'll get two morning hatches :)

Thoughts?

Idadon
08-17-2017, 04:47 PM
Not much a person can do about it either way. I think that in Idaho Falls the period of totality is only about 2 minutes so it's likely that the fish might behave like they do very early or very late in the day for a short time. Not sure where you're fishing but up here they have predicated a drop in temps and shortly before, after and during the "Total" part it will get pretty dark.

I'll let you know. I'm not fishing that day, mainly because the prediction is for 300,000-500,000 observers are expected in our area along the I-15 corridor. Should be a real Zoo!!! Oh yea, we've been warned to keep our pets indoors.

John H
08-17-2017, 06:49 PM
I fished the East Walker during the partial eclipse that happened six or seven years ago. It was in May and the eclipse happened about 5pm. The fish got fooled and went on an evening like bite and we caught the best fish of the day. The sun came back out and I thought we were going to get a second evening bite at 8pm but it did not happen. I guess the fish had gone to bed and did not want to get up and eat again.

steveg137
08-17-2017, 08:16 PM
I'm in sun valley. Not going to fish due to family plans, would like to but will be on silver creek before and after.

roywest
08-21-2017, 07:18 PM
I drifted the Yuba during the last eclipse. It was a classic Yuba day when we couldn't buy a fish, eclipse or no eclipse. But it sure was a lovely way to spend a day!