PDA

View Full Version : East Walker/Sierra

cdevine
08-15-2017, 11:33 AM
The EW is fishing really well. In fact I would say the conditions are the best I've seen in 4 years. The high flows cleaned out the silt and scoured the bottom of that moss. I'm amazed how fast this fishery has bounced back. Flows are at 340 (down from 400 last week) now which is still not ideal for wading/crossing so exercise caution but it makes for a lot of fun even getting into smaller fish that will take you deep into the current. Its mainly a caddis game right now with the other typical EW stuff like midges, pheasant tails, SJ worms, and mayflies.

I carried 3 rods and got some takes with a hopper /dropper setup as well. BTW, carrying 2 is not bad usually for me but 3 was a pain in the rear so I don't recommend. But I had a nymph, streamer, and dry setup and they all worked.

I didn't get anything big but lots of rainbows and browns in the 12-16 inch range. The future looks very bright.

I also scouted out the West Walker and it's still strong in the canyon but up near Pickels it looks perfect. I like hiking back and fishing the pocket water off the beaten path. East Carson is also a go now. Pressure looked strong for a Monday.

cyama
08-15-2017, 09:02 PM
Nice job!! The PMDs are hatching in the evening. Bring some bug spray for the East Walker if you don't want to get eaten alive!!!

cdevine
08-15-2017, 09:44 PM
Nice job!! The PMDs are hatching in the evening. Bring some bug spray for the East Walker if you don't want to get eaten alive!!!

CYAMA,
Worse I've ever seen it. (bugs). Good call. The owens valley a month ago was horrific as well. But the rewards are well worth it. Cover up big time.
I didn't stay late. Did the early bird session. I had several explosive strikes on a yellow hopper. Just opportunistic type hits but with the wind they were blowing onto the edges.

I think Fall this year will be epic. A lot of folks switch to steelhead and or hunting. (or hunting steelhead). I think pressure will be light like typical years but our streams will be much healthier. Personally almost every place I've fished this year has exceeded my expectations given the tough 4 years prior.

EricO
08-16-2017, 09:08 AM
Nice colors on that brown CD....interesting spots.

You get all over the place don't ya!?? :)

Eric

cdevine
08-16-2017, 10:11 AM

Eric

Eric, thx. I'm an addict. I will admit it. I think a lot of us live and breath it. I have a day job but barely... JK. I don't mind driving so popping in for 2-3 hours isn't a big deal because its not in traffic like going to the bay area. Its great to catch fish but I'm getting to the point in my life where I really enjoy the entire experience. Whether that is hiking or just meeting other anglers on the water or shooting the breeze with the various shops in the area. I really do my best to support all the local shops and people who make the industry go. My wife laughs at me and says if I see another hat from xyz shop I'm leaving you. (as a figure of speech)

But seriously get out an hi the EW if you can. Its a double digit type fishery again and there is so much open water that you don't bump up to very many.

mogaru
08-16-2017, 11:28 AM

Eric

Yes, those fish have spot and colors like the ones from somewhere else....................

EricO
08-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Good stuff CD....great report too.

Eric

Angledangle
08-20-2017, 05:31 PM
I was over there a week ago playing with the 407cfs and it was tough fishing. Some good topwater action in a few places but between two of us we only landed two fish. You are dead on about the current creating some excitement as I had a 12in rainbow that felt like a giant. Guess I need to head back over the hill next week and try it again.

cdevine
08-23-2017, 06:01 PM
@Angle- Make sure you have enough weight to get your flies to the bottom. Sometimes its as simple as adjusting your indo or putting on more split. River is still historically big at 340CFS today. In fact I don't recall a time where it was this high this late in the summer. Still sort of the same game as last week. Caddis, midges, damsel nymphs, and the occasional leach/perch type streamer.