PDA

View Full Version : American River today

Sheepdog8404
08-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Made it out with a friend today on the Lower A. We fished from Watt ave down to Hst Bridge for about 6hrs and only had one fish to show for our efforts. We had a couple chasers and the same number of missed strikes. Overall, it was a very very slow day for us. I did end up catching my largest Striper though which was awesome. Nothing huge but a great fish in my eyes! She(?) ate my Rainbow Clouser pattern that I have been tying up lately which has treated me well this year.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t365/Sheepdog8404/A889AA28-B002-4723-8E75-C6EC5C4E34DA_zpsr2lqebcx.jpg (http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/Sheepdog8404/media/A889AA28-B002-4723-8E75-C6EC5C4E34DA_zpsr2lqebcx.jpg.html)

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-12-2017, 07:18 PM
Good looking fish......

Getting out on our Valley rivers in a boat is a game changer.

After the sun gets up mid-day with Polarized glasses you can see down in many rivers to see structure and even fish.

Tony Buzolich
08-13-2017, 08:42 AM
Sheepdog,

That's a really fun size especially on a light rod like a 7 wt. or 8 wt.

It has to have been tough fishing with that big moon all week. Even now when you took the picture the sun is quite high and bright and those guys like to look for deeper shadier places to spend their day.

You might want to try it again in two weeks with the New Moon and go earlier or later to fish that low light or dark.

Have fun, Tony

Sheepdog8404
08-14-2017, 12:46 PM
Thanks Bill and Tony! I'm thinking about hitting it again this weekend. Probably the same area as I cant really go anywhere else in the river with my prop motor... comfortably... I don't really know that much about Striper fishing but I'm able to catch a handful here and there. I'd love to get out with someone with some more experience.

Tony, I hooked that guy on my 7wt and I had my hands full for a few minutes. Felt like a pretty fair fight though. Can't imagine what it would be like to hook one in the 15+ lb range!