PDA

View Full Version : Truckee -NV

cdevine
08-10-2017, 10:39 AM
Its been a long time since I fished the Truckee in Nevada. About 5 years ago I really enjoyed going down there in the winter time east of sparks to areas like the conversancy, mustang, and lockwood. This area held some really nice fish and didn't have a lot of pressure. The drought took its toll unfortunately and it suffered dearly.
I got out and fished the NV side west of Reno and I was really encouraged with the future of the fishery down there. I danced with a 2 foot brown for about 5 minutes before it broke me off on 3x. Similar stuff as the CA side with dominance being caddis and crays. But there are a lot of small wilds and that means recent recruitment was good. NDOW is stocking the crap out of it now with those small LCT which can be fun for younger fisherman learning to fly fish.

Weather definitely a nice change. Cool mornings and afternoon storms making the dog days of summer easier. July sucked. Just too hot most days.

Lastly I will give a shout out to the staff at Reno fly shop. Really nice guys over there. Happy to see a local shop again in Reno. #supportlocal.