PDA

View Full Version : Wading firm, white tropical flats for Bones is so sweet.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-09-2017, 08:17 AM
We started fly fishing for Bonefish in the 1980s at Christmas Island.

I started at the top, at one of the world's Bucket List destination for all wading for Bonefish.

I was fortunate to be able to go there 13 times with groups of customers, old friends, my dad and my brother Dick.

In the past 30 years I have been on over 30 trips for Bonefish in the Pacific, and the Caribbean.

This is the nicest salt water fly fishing you can do on foot.

I describe it as walking on a huge ranch or farm somewhere looking for upland game

To find Bonefish on shallow white or light colored wadeable flats is a special thing.

Lots of flats are too soft to wade and many are dark Turtle grass where it is difficult to see fish.

You can go to many different place and do a DIY Bonefish trip but success is usually not that good.

You can go to islands in the Bahamas and have a DIY trip too. Getting a guide right away to get some knowledge.

I do recommend you go to a lodge on Christmas Island or a lodge in the Bahamas first so you can lean a lot quickly.

I love wading by myself with my light colored, light weight long sleeve clothing, large brimmed hat with chin strap, high quality Polarized glasses.

I use a light weight 9' #7/8 line fly rod with light weight high quality fly reel, a tropical fly line designed for short to medium length casting and 10' tapered leader with your small shinny fly.

A fanny pack is nice to hold your extra equipment like water bottle, sunscreen, chap stick, stainless steel cutting forceps, glasses cleaner, extra glasses, leaders, tippet material and extra flies.

This is the easiest way to get into tropical salt water fly fishing.

Here is a video I just found today that has some footage that shows some of the magic of wading for these wonderful fish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ93IgjNu8s

Here is an article I wrote for people going on their first Bonefishing trip:

http://www.billkiene.com/fishing/fly-fishing-for-bonefish/

*I am semi-retired but what I do now is work on travel for Kiene's American Fly Fishing Company.

I recently took a group to Cuba and another to the Yucatan for baby Tarpon.

**If you need any help planning a good Bonefish trip or if you need any help getting ready for one just PM, text, email or call me.

mems
08-09-2017, 12:52 PM
Thanks Bill, great video. I really like fishing for hungry bones in places like the Bahamas and Christmas Island. The fish here in Hawaii are very educated and it is hard to get them to eat. My favorite thing on CI is finding an access channel to a flat and catching bonefish after bonefish on an incoming tide. I relish getting them to chase the fly and seeing how mad I can make them. I don't get to do that here in Hawaii.

Love CI, going back next April, Mems.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-09-2017, 01:27 PM
Thanks Don,

I always like to talk about Christmas Island......

What is your take on timing? Months?

Any best months?

Any worst months?

In the 20 year period I fish it we went in February because being close to the Equator, the weather did not change that much.

I did fish through some drought cycles where the island actual;ly caught fire burning many coconut palms.

I also fished through some wet cycles where the island was flooded.

Stan Helleckson, owner of Fly Fishing Specialties use to go in August.

Maybe others like Jay Murakoshi will add some insight.

As far as the time of the month for tides you will have the Spring tides of the Full moon and the New Moon.

Many like these for Giant Trevally.

Some like to fish the 3 days after the Full moon on Paris Flats for schools of suspended larger spawning Bonefish.

We never really enjoyed that type of fishing.

Some like the Neep Tides with less exchange for Bonefish which allows you to have moderate water depths all day long.

I know clouds cause glare so is there a rainy season?

No body likes too much wind so is mid-summer mean less wind?

As a rule mornings are almost always better than afternoons.

mems
08-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Hey Bill, all good questions.

I went one summer because we thought we would be the only ones on the island, wrong it was loaded with Aussies who drank every beer on the island. I like the spring, you avoid the rainy season, Jan/Feb and the ono are in. The offshore fishing suffers if the longliners are getting ahi, but you never know when they will be there. I haven't fished the fall yet, but that would be a good time for me cause it is an offseason here in Hawaii.

As far as tides, I like the 1/4 moons and an incoming tide in the morning. I do also like a high tide in the morning to get into the back country. My favorite fish there is the golden trevally and you have to get over nine mile flat to reach them.

I have fished Paris on a full moon and there are lots of fish there, but they are interested in sex more than eating, and it really is like fishing a mud in the Bahamas.

The outer reef is really my favorite place to fish, so many species and such beautiful and diverse water. Plus the backdrop of pounding surf is pretty awesome. Mems.

http://i.imgur.com/4CGfHMq.jpg (http://imgur.com/4CGfHMq)

Tony Buzolich
08-10-2017, 06:33 AM
Bill,

For as long as you've been going have you ever stayed at any of the other lodges or has it always been the Villages? I've only stayed at the Crystal Beach Lodge booked through Fly Water Travel. Most everyone I talk with has stayed the Villages too but I think it's only because it gets more press. I'd like to hear from some one who has used the Ikari House.

I realize that every place has it's pluses and minus's but I like to weigh everything before making plans.

Can't wait to go back, Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-10-2017, 07:22 AM
The places to stay are always in flux in third world countries.

I am working on the variations of all the plaves to stay now.

As everyone remembers it was always pretty much the Captain Cook Hotel

but I don't hear good things about it anymore.