PDA

View Full Version : 50+years of Half-pounders on Lower American R

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-08-2017, 08:13 AM
I was fishing the fall Half-pounders with night crawlers and spinners as a teenager on the river.

Made my own one piece light spinning rods with fly rod blanks from Ewoldt's Rod & Reel Repair.

I had an old pair of cheap chest high boot foot waders that were very slippery on the rocks.

Watt Avenue and Howe Avenue where my old places that seemed to work for me.

It was always in the Fall for me and the river was full of conventional salmon fishers too.

Many trollers in boats and bank anglers where down near Sacramento State College in the 1960s.

I soon transitioned into fly fishing for them with my brother Dick and I using trout outfits.

We used floating line and dry flies and wet flies in the surface.

We evolved to Seal-Dri latex chest high stocking foot waders with Converse canvas felt sole wading shoes.

In a few years of being in the sporting goods business in the 1970s near the river we acquired a group of other fly fishers who loved Half-pounders too.

It got to be a real social event on the weekday evening after work in the late summer and fall.

Key players where young commando fly fishers Al Perryman, Jim Potter, Al Fong, Larry Cullens, Cal Guin, Bob Long and Hal Janssen.

Local old timers where Joe Shirshac, Walt Bennett, George Martin, Chuck Campana, Neil Hansen, Joe Patterson and other who were the original founders of the local fly club, the CFFU.

The younger bunch where local high school friends were Galen Geller, Kyle Keaton, Stu Health, Phil Romig and Paul Keel.

My brother Dick and I fished also fished with Bob Giannoni, Mike Ziem, Mel Jeffs and Don Rotsma.

Today Andy Guibord and Jim Christensen are experts at chasing Half-pounders,

A few years ago local two handed pro Jeff Putnam started using Spey rods for Half-pounders that started this huge new technique on our river.

We look for these fish to show up in schools in the lower river starting in the lower river around Cal-Expo and River Park. in late August.

September can be a huge month going out very early and very late for a few hours.

At that time we use floating lines, leaders as long as the rods with dry flies and wet flies.

In the day time you can use a sink tip or sinking leader with 4 feet of mono and a wet fly or nymph.

Watt Avenue is one of the top destination for fall Half-pounders.

We have used very light trout out fits with floating lines and dry flies right at dark to drift caddis adults imitating the egg laying caddis.

My go to set up after they have been in the river for a while is a caddis pupa swung in the surface early and late in the day.

The big variable is he size and timing of the runs each year.

The old variable is how many fish are holding in the run that you are in that day.

This message board will be the best place to get info on this falls run.......

I will be taking some of my almost adult grand kids ( taller than me) out to get them started on these wonderful fish.

Start going down to the river from Watt Avenue down stream to Paradise Beach to look for them in the riffles.

Larry S
08-08-2017, 08:57 AM
Great memories for many. I miss the Forum humor of Galen G . Went by the handle "Oregon Salmon"
if I remember.
Best to all,
Larry S

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Galen Geller, 'Oregon Salmon', grew up very near the Watt Avenue Bridge on the Lower American River.

He and some of his high school friends fished the river a lot.

His father, Galen Senior, was a very serious Steelhead angler of the Greatest Generation.

They had a jet boat and fished the lower Rogue River for many decades.

Galen went up to Seaside, Oregon where he worked with Craig Ziegler and Mike McCune, tying flies for anyone who needed them.

He made his living by tying flies for our shop, and for Alaska Lodges.

He had a nice life in Seaside, Oregon always preparing lots of nice seafood dishes.

He had a degree in Econometrics from I think UC San Diego.

He had a very high IQ and a quick wit.

We miss him too.

Larry S
08-08-2017, 04:33 PM
Here's some of Galen's humor. He should have been published! We PM'd and emailed
a bit. Never got up there to meet him; one of life's disappointments. Search for Oregon Salmon
on the Kiene forum for more Galen. RIP!
=====
Tough life in the Northwest

The salmon have returned and women and children have been warned to stay away from the tidewater. They are back in great numbers...the vicious critters plucked a tot off the bank. Terrible. Even I am scared to wade into their highway to the spawing grounds. They get out of that saltwater and their mood becomes downright ugly. So bad...it is like denying me a beer for an hour. Even the thought of me beerless makes me mad. Maybe if we toss beers into the water that would placate them. Anything to stop the madness of their yearly finned terrorist attack on our rivers. Damn things think they own the place.

Plenty of fish boys, come up and see the show. If you saw a day like today you would never go home. Downright perfect. Boys, I have course knowledge: know the rivers, know the flies, and the hookers. Even know which dogs to pet and the ones to avoid. Hell, if I can get the 25K some peckerhead owes me I'll buy you the gas and the beers...well if you get to them before I do. I'll even promise not to fish naked for a change since the law seems to frown on that. Getting tired of paying those tickets.

If one of you lunatics would like to wander up next year I'll be happy to share what I know. Things like don't hit your grandma with a shovel for it leaves a bad impression on her mind. Love that song. It is a long drive but I have been on recon duty for years....proud member of the fishing Marines. Plenty of spots, far too many jerks, but it is salmon fishing. The rocks come with the farm. So north boys!!!!! When the salmon are rolling in the tidewater...if that don't give you a woody nothing will. Stay in touch.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-08-2017, 05:37 PM
He was so witty.........

When I was divorced and single, down in the dumps, Geller and friends who take me out drinking in Sacramento.

Geller would have a big red neck truck driver who was play pool ready to eat him and as soon as the guy started towards him he

would turn murder into laughter with only a few quick words.

Soon the big guy had his arm around Geller and was buying him a drink.

He was magic.........

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Andy Guibord is going out looking for Half-pounder Steelhead this next week.

He knows where to look for them.

If you want to go out and get some education on the way of the Half-pounder just give Andy a call or send him an email.

https://andyguibord.wordpress.com/guiding-instruction/