PDA

View Full Version : Alternative Go_Pro Wide Angle Waterproof Camera

OceanSunfish
08-04-2017, 12:10 AM
I'm one of the folks that bought a lemon Go-Pro and I am tired of fiddling with it....... dealing with their non existent customer service, etc. There are services that tout they can repair for $100 before additional T&M. At this point, I want to get back to using a normal point and shoot camera that can take wide angle video at high resolution on occasion. In other words, going minimalist without all the attachments that seem to involve Go-Pro.

Using a Go-Pro becomes the hobby, when I want the fishing to be my hobby........

Any suggestions? Nikon Coolpix, Olympus TGs, Panasonic Lumix, Canon Powershot?

Use on a boat too where it's harder to get a wide shot at times.

I've been using my iPhone and it does a great job for my purposes. It's not waterproof though and I'm taking some chances with it when it needs to stay stashed.

Thanks.

John H
08-05-2017, 08:07 AM
I have a Pentax Optio point and shoot. Waterproof but the video resolution is not good. I would like to upgrade it to get better video but still have it be small and essentially indestructible. Att aching a polarizing filter would be a nice feature also.

JayDubP
08-05-2017, 11:39 AM
I have a Pentax Optio point and shoot. Waterproof but the video resolution is not good. I would like to upgrade it to get better video but still have it be small and essentially indestructible. Att aching a polarizing filter would be a nice feature also.

Several years ago, a company launched "MagFilter CPL Filter" a circular polarizing filter that did not need to be screwed on, since most point & shoot cameras do not have any threads on the lens. Used a combo of magnets and adhesive to attach. I think it came in 2 or 3 sizes.

Price around $40 on Amazon.

Here is link to you tube about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNHeWSqU5_Q

Jim

dynaflow
08-05-2017, 06:29 PM
I've had so much fun for some years with a now positively ancient Nikon Coolpix AW100...waterproof,shockproof,shoots 1080 HD video,built-in GPS,etc.but the best part was that you can simply clip on a Hoya 40.5mm.circular polarizing filter...an absolute necessity on a glaring C.I.sand flat or anywhere else for that matter IMHO.Most other Point 'n click cameras don't have this facility.It also has a twist 'n lock battery/memory card compartment that does not leak,unlike the two Lumix I had previously :mad:.
and the most recent iteration(AW130) of the Coolpix make it even better :cool:
Cheers

OceanSunfish
08-06-2017, 02:19 AM
I've had so much fun for some years with a now positively ancient Nikon Coolpix AW100...waterproof,shockproof,shoots 1080 HD video,built-in GPS,etc.but the best part was that you can simply clip on a Hoya 40.5mm.circular polarizing filter...an absolute necessity on a glaring C.I.sand flat or anywhere else for that matter IMHO.Most other Point 'n click cameras don't have this facility.It also has a twist 'n lock battery/memory card compartment that does not leak,unlike the two Lumix I had previously :mad:.
and the most recent iteration(AW130) of the Coolpix make it even better :cool:
Cheers

Thanks. Nikon Coolpix AW130 is a camera I am considering.

JayDubP
08-06-2017, 03:06 PM
@OCEANSUNFISH:

I looked at Nikon AW130 today. salesperson said i need the "Nikon UR Filter Attachment" for around $10 to attach to the camera and then the Hoya filter attaches to the "Nikon UR-E23 Filter Attachment"- They did not have either in stock and no pictures so I went online and it seems it is a 2 piece solution. IS THAT CORRECT?

I am going to buy this model.

John H
08-08-2017, 08:23 AM
I have been looking at the Olympus Stylus T5 and it has the lens set up you are describing. You get an adapter ring and then can attach any 40.5 mm filter.

Baja Fly Fisher
08-09-2017, 06:30 AM
I have the Olympus TG4 and love it. I have 4 GoPro's (older models) but the batteries didn't last that long. I still use them every now and then. But the Olympus does every thing I need from a camera. Good under water shots, including underwater video. I use the tripod adapter and use the GoPro adapter and can put in on my painters stick for under water video.
I purchased the add on polarizer filter. The only thing that I don't like is, I've already purchased 4 lens covers. I guess if I had purchased a lanyard the first time, I wouldn't be buying replacements. They are shock proof, I've dropped my a few times now - I'm glad it wasn't my ezpensive DSLR Canon's.