PDA

View Full Version : Escaping the valley heat

EricO
07-29-2017, 09:04 PM
Decided around midnight last night to bail up near Tahoe and float tube one of
my go-to, small trout lakes. Forecast was only 83 degrees.

Fish were surprisingly finicky...but a small orange woolie bugger worked most of
the day. Not much dry action to my flies, but they were launching out of the water at
something...tons of damsels everywhere but only one or two grabs on a blue
damsel dry. Couldn't figure it out....most of the time these fish hit anything.

Tried ants, hoppers, damsels nymphs, callabaetis, soft hackles in
various colors. Couldn't see anything in the water they were keying on.

Mostly caught brookies with a few nice rainbows in the mix. Some nice jerking
pulls too. Tons of short strikes...probably 6" inchers being a tad too greedy
for a day's meal.

Biggest of the day was a 13" rainbow and other small ones pictured here.

Finished the day at Moonraker and a cold, refreshing pint.

Life ain't bad!

Eric

Sheepdog8404
07-29-2017, 09:11 PM
Nice work, Eric! Gotta love the colors on those Brookies. I need to get me another float tube and hit the lakes soon!

EricO
07-30-2017, 09:01 AM
Thanks SD, it was a blast.

If you pick up another float tube, try to see if you can find an older Caddis model.
Perhaps on Ebay.

The new ones have much thicker material and are way heavier, especially when wet on the
pack out. I have an older model too, that I used yesterday. It packs way tighter in my backpack.

Here's the set up.

Eric

Larry S
07-30-2017, 10:45 AM
Eric,
You've got it wired! Remember a Kiene member by the name of SHigSpeed? Sadly, he passed away
after a valiant battle with cancer a few years ago. He had a great thread going about building a packable
float tube. A minimalist's wet dream! He actually got a few trips with his creation. RIP, Scott!
Best to all,
Larry S
Sun Diego

EricO
07-30-2017, 12:40 PM
Hi Larry,

Yes, I totally remember Shig....he did some hard core hiking..loved his posts
up in the high country.

Ya, I followed his float tube project...his sketches and pictures during the process were so cool!
And the end product was badass. My mind doesn't work like that...lol.

Yes RIP Shig.

Thanks for the reminder Larry....I will have to go back and re-read some of his cool posts.

Eric

Scott V
08-01-2017, 12:16 PM
I'm lucky enough to have 2 of Shig's tubes and fins. This is a pic from our last hike together and his last hike. The tubes will be buried with me!

EricO
08-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Simply awesome Scott.

Eric

Larry S
08-01-2017, 04:46 PM
Hi Scott,
So many great things in life are like meteoroids; absolutely brilliant, and yet so short-lived. You
are so fortunate to have had that friendship with SHig.
Best to you,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Scott V
08-02-2017, 11:47 AM
Hi Scott,
So many great things in life are like meteoroids; absolutely brilliant, and yet so short-lived. You
are so fortunate to have had that friendship with SHig.
Best to you,
Larry S
Sun Diego

Thanks Larry, it is hard not to look over every time I fish and not see him there. So many memories.

TyV
08-02-2017, 10:12 PM
I vaguely remember Shig when I first joined the forum. I didn't know any of this...even that he passed. I have been in a fog of babies and young children the last 6 years so I have missed plenty.

I have to say...that reading this thread was brought a smile to my heart. This forum provides some special connections, some special people...thanks for sharing your memories about someone special that we have lost. May he RIP!

Glad you had such a nice trip...thanks for the report that started the thread too.

Fish On Fellas

Ty