PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a very specific fly - BH Prince half flashback with RL

PV_Premier
07-24-2017, 02:30 PM
I'm looking for a very specific fly and I am wondering if anyone has seen this in bins anywhere.

It's a size ~12-14 beadhead prince with an epoxy coated half flashback and short-ish thick brown rubberlegs. My stash is running low and I cannot find the same pattern anywhere online nor can I remember where I bought the ones that I have.

Worst case I guess I will give one to a friend to copy and tie up a bunch for me. I wish I was not an idiot and knew how to tie for myself. Maybe this is finally the universe telling me I have the incentive to learn.

audax
07-24-2017, 03:04 PM
When you say "epoxy coated half flashback" I'm visualizing an epoxied wingcase (a la Copper John). But I'm not aware of any prince variation that has a wingcase at all.

Some prince variants use rubber leg material in lieu of biots, in which case they'd have black or brown rubber for the tail and white rubber for the wings. Is that what you're describing?

A picture would be worth a thou.... :)

PV_Premier
07-24-2017, 06:05 PM

Here's the pattern

Terry Thomas
07-24-2017, 08:03 PM
Pretty sure we carry this fly in the bins. Give me a call tomorrow at the shop.

SB Gaucho
07-24-2017, 09:09 PM
Saw these in the shop yesterday...even better news is they are in the discount bins.

PV_Premier
07-24-2017, 09:33 PM
Thanks everyone. Apparently this might be easier than expected!!

cyama
07-24-2017, 11:21 PM
I can't believe that fly works with those fat stubby rubber legs, but fish love other weird flies like a bright red worm so go figure. Maybe it is the flashback head. I tie several flies that I think the fish key on the flashback thorax. If that fly is working try a CDC Prince or a soft hackle prince as well. Just my two cents...

PV_Premier
07-25-2017, 06:02 AM
I can't believe that fly works with those fat stubby rubber legs, but fish love other weird flies like a bright red worm so go figure.

I thought the same thing, but I have been roping fish on this fly in certain streams and water conditions this spring...don't question the results, right? haha...

Odonata
07-25-2017, 07:40 AM
Doesn't look terribly difficult. I started tying this past winter -- probably it was the continuous rain that finally made me bite the bullet and get a vice / materials, etc.

It is a really fun hobby in and of itself, but very addicting :) Just about anything you need to know you can learn from the web and youtube (and lots of practice). The thrill of catching fish on a fly you tied yourself is amazing.

JasonB
07-25-2017, 07:52 AM
Agreed about learning to tie your own! If you don't tie, you're missing out on a huge part of the fun imo. Although it is a bit daunting at first, and your first couple dozen flies will likely not be particularly appealing, before you know it you'll be creating your own patterns to fit specific needs and specific situations. It's saved my butt on more than one trip where it turned out the fish had strong preference for something we had very little of. Then there's the down time when you're not able to fish; just spending time at the vise gets me thinking/dreaming/hoping, and is the closest thing to being out on the water...

The satisfaction from catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself is indeed special, even more so when it's a pattern of your own creative process. Then you get to the joy of sharing with others and seeing them catch fish on one of your special ones, which I find even more satisfying. It's also fun to compare notes and experiences with others on how they tie certain things and why; honestly I think it's upped my fishing game a lot too, as it has added another element of how I approach my fishing situations.
I say go for it!
JB