PDA

View Full Version : History of Sage rods, can anyone update this?

luckydude
07-20-2017, 06:19 PM
I found this:

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-rods/235461-sage-rod-chart-old-new.html

which has this info, I'm wondering who could update this to the current time and in particular, since Z-axis rods were Generation 5 and it appears that Sage still makes rods based on that technology, what rods that they currently make might be similar to the Z-axis rods.

Est Year Model Description
1982 -RP -Reserve Power for long Casts
1982 -GFL? -Graphite II
1985 -RPL -or Graphite III RPL High Performance
1985 -LL -Traditional Action 2-5 Weight (LL=Light line?)
1986 -RPLX -Saltwater 8-12 Weight
1986 -DS? -Spey ?
1986 -TH? -Double Handed ?
1997 -SPL -"Best of show" new rods
1997 -RPLxi -Revised and improved saltwater
1999 -XP -Lighter narrower tapered Fast Action
2003 -SLT -Medium Fast Action
2003 -TCR -Ultra fast action for experianced Casters
2004 -Xi2 -New Saltwater rod was first with new generation 5 (G5) Technology
2005 -TXL -Near weightless for light lines
2005 -Fli -Entry Level Fast Action taper with maximum power transfer
2005 -Launch -Entry Level smoth progressive power curve and very high strength to weight ratio
2006 -VT2 -Mid price point upgrade to long running VPS
2007 -Z-Axis -Ultimate Fast Action Rod coupled with trmendous feel (2 piece, 4 piece, Spey and Switch
2008 -BASS -Finally released after years of development and even showed up on magazine covers with Snook, Baby Tarpon and Pike
2008 -ZXL -Medum action Cousin to the Z-Axis in weights 3-6
2009 -TCX -Replacement for TCR but fitting a wider range of castins styles (kryptonite green)
Current -ONE -Flagship "all-around" rod Fast Action
Current -VXP -Ultra high speed line and slender shaft begginer to experianced
Current -Flight -Great features and a great price
Current -Vantage -Medium Fast value rod
Current -TXL-F -Light Line Ultra lightweight
Current -ZXL -Easy and Relaxed like the classic action rods
Current -Xi3 -Salt Water Replacement for Xi2
Current -99 -Nymph angler 9'9" with unique taper to make open loops
Current -BASS II -Upgrraded for faster line speeds for big flies still good for Bass, Snook, or Tarpon, Pike and Musky
Current -ESN -Designed for european lirect line nymphing with multimple flies

John Sv
07-20-2017, 06:45 PM
Idk about a lot of this but the vxp is neither ultra high speed nor slender. They're actually pretty fat and pretty slow for a sage

Idadon
07-20-2017, 07:38 PM
My first was a blemished RP 8wt. Caught a lot of Steelhead! Still have it in the back of my closet. Great rod for shooting heads.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-20-2017, 08:09 PM
I sold all these rods....before Sage existed the owner, Don Green has Fenwick Company.

First name of Sage was Winslow.

Est Year Model Description:

1982 -RP -Reserve Power for long Casts (RPII rod were very powerful some most over lined them.)

1982 -GFL? -Graphite II (GFL was a softer moderate action)

1985 -RPL -or Graphite III RPL High Performance (RPLIII was some of the first really wonderful graphite rods)

1985 -LL -Traditional Action 2-5 Weight (LL=Light line?) (The LL series were also extremely popular with a classic lighter action for delicate fishing)

1986 -RPLX -Saltwater 8-12 Weight (They were Sage's first serious salt water series and in 3 pc)

1986 -DS? -Spey(no) ? (Discovery series - the DS and DSII were the best selling Sage low end series that cast really well)

1986 -TH? -Double Handed ? (most popular size and first graphite spey rods was the 9140-3 / 14' #9 in 3 piece)

1997 -SPL -"Best of show" new rods (ultra light super flexible thin trout rods #0 to 5 weight?)

1997 -RPLxi -Revised and improved saltwater (second series of Sage salt water series in 2 pc an 4 pc)

1999 -XP -Lighter narrower tapered Fast Action (very popular good casting rods)

2003 -SLT -Medium Fast Action(no) (lighter action for trout)

2003 -TCR -Ultra fast action for experianced Casters (right on)

2004 -Xi2 -New Saltwater rod was first with new generation 5 (G5) Technology (3rd generation salt water)

2005 -TXL -Near weightless for light lines

2005 -Fli -Entry Level Fast Action taper with maximum power transfer

2005 -Launch -Entry Level smoth progressive power curve and very high strength to weight ratio

2006 -VT2 -Mid price point upgrade to long running VPS (VT2 was RPLIII actions and VPS ws LL action both in cheaper trim.

2007 -Z-Axis -Ultimate Fast Action Rod coupled with trmendous feel (2 piece, 4 piece, Spey and Switch

2008 -BASS -Finally released after years of development and even showed up on magazine covers with Snook, Baby Tarpon and Pike
2008 -ZXL -Medum action Cousin to the Z-Axis in weights 3-6
2009 -TCX -Replacement for TCR but fitting a wider range of castins styles (kryptonite green)
Current -ONE -Flagship "all-around" rod Fast Action
Current -VXP -Ultra high speed line and slender shaft begginer to experianced
Current -Flight -Great features and a great price
Current -Vantage -Medium Fast value rod
Current -TXL-F -Light Line Ultra lightweight
Current -ZXL -Easy and Relaxed like the classic action rods
Current -Xi3 -Salt Water Replacement for Xi2
Current -99 -Nymph angler 9'9" with unique taper to make open loops
Current -BASS II -Upgrraded for faster line speeds for big flies still good for Bass, Snook, or Tarpon, Pike and Musky
Current -ESN -Designed for european lirect line nymphing with multimple flies
Edit / Delete Edit Post Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

koffler
07-20-2017, 08:41 PM
The SP model is missing, became available 90/91 and preceedes the SPL and a better rod IMO. Best series ever were the LL's. The 389 and 490 two pieces are money and rods I would never part with. Good topic.

The RPL+ is also missing and was a successful seller late 80's early 90's.

Jason

cdevine
07-22-2017, 09:18 AM
I would be lying if I said I don't have a handful of these rods but the Z axis 5wt 9ft is my all time favorite. I bought the Sage X 10ft 4wt last year and its a great all around rod as well but it can't sniff the Z IMO. The 10FT 4wt ESN is my go to czech rod on the Truckee.

luckydude
07-22-2017, 10:15 AM
I would be lying if I said I don't have a handful of these rods but the Z axis 5wt 9ft is my all time favorite. I bought the Sage X 10ft 4wt last year and its a great all around rod as well but it can't sniff the Z IMO. The 10FT 4wt ESN is my go to czech rod on the Truckee.

Once I learned to overline the 590-4 Z axis I grew to love it as well. Though I sort of wish I had a 490-4 (that behaves like a true 5wt) and a 690-4 (that is like a true 7wt). In fact I think the right quiver would be 490-4, 690-4, 890-4. I've already got true 3wt covered, so that would give me 3, 5, 7, 9wt rods.

For those who question whether those rods really want the heavier lines, here's a fish that the 590-4 z axis pulled in (took 25 minutes):

http://www.mcvoy.com/lm/bull-trout/index.html

cdevine
07-22-2017, 12:58 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to have my 5wt z axis overlined with 6wt line for the fall so I can chase some browns on streamers. For now its all about tossing terrestrials and going light on some high elevation stuff.