PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Sierra Notes

cdevine
07-20-2017, 01:18 PM
Lots of options in the eastern sierra's from Stillwater to moving streams. I got in a quick trip the other day and here are some notes. Give yourself some time on 395 due to construction and the sky was starting to get bad as a result of Mariposa fire.

East Walker
The "DUB" is finally on the way down. Flows were around 700 when I fished it and moved to 603 today. Yeah! It had been running 1k + for awhile which is basically unfishable. I still see a ton of snow up in the sawtooth mountains and buckeye/robinson creeks are pumping into Bridgeport. So how long will they be down is another ?. The East is my favorite stream. The solitude and serenity of this high desert tail water are second to none. I've caught my biggest brown here and it rarely lets me down. The fishery produced on a variety of methods for me. I carried a streamer and nymph rod. They were chasing zonkers, buggers, and leeches in addition to nymph patterns- faux pupae caddis, stone flies, and midges. Honestly not very picky. Most fish in the 12-14 inch category. No bigs on this trip.

West Walker-
Stopped and wet a line but its still 1100+. I had my waders off and wet waded for about 10 minutes until frost bite symptons started. Not kidding. 45 degrees water temps around noon. Water is so cold and so much snow still up on top. It should fish really well later august into Nov. I see it running high for awhile though.

East Carson-
Didn't fish it but I stopped and look at the river for a few. Around 900-1000 now which is def fishable but certainly not ideal. Water color is greenish/tan right now. Not many people around. I think they will start stocking it in the next few weeks as it drops below <800. Good place to take beginners out. My son and I have had some fun times hooking fish there and we plan on getting back in another 3-4 weeks. Its been a couple years since I've hiked way down into the canyon off Airport RD. The drought took its toll but like everything else it will return.

West Carson- This place is damn near perfect. Fished from 5-dark and it was a lot of fun. Lots of caddis coming off and small wilds. Check it out. Flows down to 140.

Picture below is from EW at 700CFS and a small rainbow landed.

Get out and fish!

cdevine
07-30-2017, 07:08 AM
Was just up in S.Lake for son's baseball tourney for a week and got out a few times to fish the eastern waters. East Carson is now a def go. It was in the 700's when I fished it and greenish but lots of spots to fish and not much in the way of pressure. (yet). They are starting to plant it pretty heavily over the next month. Use some weight and caution wading right now and focus on softer spots. In a few weeks fish will be spreading out more.

Markleeville Creek- Son and I fished this. What fun. Lots of fish were planted and we had a blast.

West Carson- I fished all over that place and mainly at dusk away from anybody which isn't hard to do if you walk a little. But anywhere around the bridges/campground its a zoo. Dry dropper setup with a caddis trailed by a small mayfly pattern worked well. Conditions are perfect. 100-110 CFS.

I stopped and fished a little stretch off kyburz (S.F.A) on way home off 50. Guess what.. Lots of little wilds eagerly waiting to hit a fly. Wish I had more time because that area is a lot of fun and I don't fish it much. (I drive by it a lot) If you have a reddington butterstick pull it out on a stream like this. Super fun.

East carson is probably a good bet in the coming month because kids will be going back to school and summer trips are winding down. You can get away from people easy here either above or below the bridge.