PDA

View Full Version : Looking to move past 5wt rods - what to get?

luckydude
07-19-2017, 05:38 PM
I want to do some larger fishing, I want a 7wt for streamer fishing for bull trout and mouse fishing for bigger trout, and a 9wt for fishing for stripers in the delta.

The 7wt is my immediate problem, I'm going to Fernie in a few weeks to fish the Elk. Pretty sure that I don't want a switch rod, I don't know what to do with them, I've never learned to spey cast.

My quiver of 5wt rods includes a Thomas & Thomas (modern one, last year) that is very, very fast. Useless until you have 30-40 feet out, no feel; a Hardy Zenith that I used to like and I like less; a Sage Z axis that I used to not like until I over lined it to a 6.5 wt line, now I love that rod, has almost the reach of the T&T and has great feel close in.

So I'm inclined to look for a 7wt z axis. But I'm open to advice. Thoughts?

pgw
07-19-2017, 07:33 PM
My current 7 wt rod for that which you speak is a Burkheimer 790.

http://www.cfbflyrods.com/sea-trout/

PV_Premier
07-19-2017, 07:48 PM
Hard to argue with a Z axis. I just got a 10' #6 and love it. The Sage X is also awesome. On the less expensive side, TFO BVK and redington vice are good options. Keep in mind that a lot of modern 7s fish more like 8s. With good reels one rarely needs more than a fast 6 for northern CA trout and steelhead nymphing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-19-2017, 09:32 PM
Are you looking a 9' or 9.5' #7 line?

9' for boats

9.5' for wading - steelhead for mending, line control.

I guess a Z-Axis would have to used because they are discontinue.

#9 weight for stripers is a good idea.

Some would use the #7 for stripers with small flies.