PDA

View Full Version : Little Truckee

PV_Premier
07-16-2017, 08:02 AM
Based on the number of people fishing in the meadow section of the LT yesterday, I guess the word is long since out that it is fishing pretty well...especially in the late morning with the after breakfast crowd...lots of anglers...

Yesterday I hooked 4 landed 2 ...3 hookups came on small mayfly nymphs and one on a PMD hackle stacker. This was my 3rd trip out in the last 6 weeks or so, and was the "worst" I've done but it was also the lowest flows, they dropped it back down to around 100...was 175 all week.

I have been carrying two rods which is very annoying when hiking around, but having that dry fly rigged and ready to go has resulted in quite a few hookups I might not have otherwise gotten if I had to change rigs on a single rod while babysitting an actively rising fish.

Water is pretty clear and with all the fishing pressure it is back to the usual 5-6x tippet situation for best results with a focus on stealth tactics and clean drifts. I'll probably hang it up out there until fall, and shift focus to some less pressured water...but for those who don't mind the company...the fish are there and they are eating...

cdevine
07-16-2017, 04:57 PM
Right on! Thanks for the report. I snow shoe in back in the winter and a couple March slots but I haven't been back since. The crowds just aren't my thing, but i have heard its been fishing well (especially PMD hatch) and there is certainly nothing wrong with hooking fish in a beautiful setting. I tend to fish the lower section when I do go which has traditionally been a little tougher for me but there are def less people. I don't blame you for putting it on hold until the fall.

I've been carrying 2 rods for years now and I won't go back to just one unless I'm out with my boys or screwing off for an hour. Like you said the timing factor and versatility are tough to beat. Just remember where you set the other rod down... I've had a few senior moments.