PDA

View Full Version : Canyon Dweller

cdevine
07-10-2017, 01:57 PM
Got a couple days in the on the Truckee last week and ventured deep into the Canyon. First observation was its damn hot so get there early. Wet wading time for sure. Caught a few nice fish right off the bat around 7am but around 11am the music got silent and it was the "dog days of summer". Honestly, I would fish for a few hours in the morning and a few at night. The daytime was just for walking, sweating,

and working on my cast/drift. Fish are spread out. Those beautiful rainbows and browns holding near the edges in the Spring high flows have moved to find cooler more oxygenated water. River looks amazing. Water temps were around 57 in the canyon. Tons of rafters. Water coming out of Grays Creek is churning some Milky stuff currently but its not choc milk. Its chalky and dissolves as it moves down lower into canyon. But wow is that little creek cranking.

Flows around 1100-1200 where I was fishing. Wading wasn't terrible but crossing is another story. I have a couple of spots I can sneak over at 700 or so but I'm not risking it any higher. Lots of little guys came out to play later as the sun went down. Those big boys are tough to get in the summer on the T.