PDA

View Full Version : Good fly shop near Lake Tahoe area........?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-06-2017, 02:41 PM
My brother is headed to the Lake Tahoe area for business on Friday and was looking for some fishing up there.

I called the Mountain Hardware in Truckee and got the "lots of fishing up here" answer.

http://mountainhardwareandsports.com/

I am sure that Mountain Hardware has a good inventory for fly fishers.

Then I called Tahoe Fly Fishing Outfitters fly shop in South Tahoe.

My old friend and the owner Victor Babbitt answered the phone.

I told Vic that my brother has a kayak and he recommended fishing some of the local lakes where the tributaries flow in because lots of fish are still stacked up there.

Vic has always had a really good guide group out of his shop.

http://tahoeflyfishing.com/

Where else can you buy flies, leaders and tippet around Lake Tahoe?

John Sv
07-06-2017, 02:56 PM
My wife has worked at Mountain Hardware for the past two decades. The past two weeks were the busiest I have ever seen it, with a line at the fishing counter usually. The guys in fishing all fly fish and have good knowledge of the where-to-gos. Plenty of fly gear.

There is/was an Orvis shop in Tahoe City. Not sure if it is still there.

Swigards in Tahoe City carries fly tackle.

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Bill---ACE Mountain Hardware & Sports has a very well-stocked fly fishing section in the store. Surprised that you implied that they seemed abrupt on the phone; possibly really busy as John suggests. The staff there, Brian, Steve, Toni & Miles are all accomplished fly anglers...dispensing with reliable "local" knowledge. Additionally ACE has a list of recomended, independent, Truckee resident, fly fishing guides who all have been plying the waters for many, many years...

On another note I will be doing a podcast at http://www.askaboutflyfishing.com on Wednesday, July 12 at 6PM PST entitled "Truckee River...past, present & future"...listen in...Questions to me can be proffered prior to the podcast.

Frank R. Pisciotta
www.cyberfly.com

cdevine
07-06-2017, 04:22 PM
I'm a big supporter of Mtn hardware. Those guys are so nice and have helped me tremendously over the years. I'm glad you called them out by name Frank because they deserve some credit.

Frank, in terms of Podcast I'm eager to listen in. I gobble up as much info as I can especially from somebody who has spent most of their life on the T. I would ask if you could comment on any long term fish management plans you are aware of with regards to LCT on the CA side from Trout Creek down to State line?

Thanks again.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-06-2017, 04:29 PM
I have always heard that Mountain Hardware was a good place for fly fishing tackle and info too.

Maybe they were just very busy......

Wish Andy Burk was still in Truckee.

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Chris----I'm not clear on the LCT re-introduction from Trout Creek to CA/NV state line; I haven't heard of plans. I believe the focus currently for LCT re-intro will be in the USFS's Little Truckee' "plug & pool" restoration area several years ago in the in the Perazzo Meadows area below Mt Lola. Additionally, this year LCT catchables have been planted in Prosser & Boca reservoir, Independence & Webber lakes.

Local TU chapter #103's David Lass and/or Sam Sedillio (sp?) will be more well-versed in this matter...

Frank R. Pisciotta

cdevine
07-08-2017, 10:04 AM
Frank,

Thanks. I will make sure to touch base with them. I just wasn't sure what the long range plans are. I know there seems to be more chatter these days on restoring the Truckee back to the glory days when the "settlers" were hauling 20 lb LCT. I would love to see it just the way it is currently. The neighboring lakes and what goes on down in Reno I don't care as much about personally. Look forward to hearing the podcast.

OceanSunfish
07-08-2017, 11:33 PM
Chris----I'm not clear on the LCT re-introduction from Trout Creek to CA/NV state line; I haven't heard of plans. I believe the focus currently for LCT re-intro will be in the USFS's Little Truckee' "plug & pool" restoration area several years ago in the in the Perazzo Meadows area below Mt Lola. Additionally, this year LCT catchables have been planted in Prosser & Boca reservoir, Independence & Webber lakes.

Local TU chapter #103's David Lass and/or Sam Sedillio (sp?) will be more well-versed in this matter...

Frank R. Pisciotta

Pilot Peak in the before mentioned lakes?

Frank R. Pisciotta
07-09-2017, 09:07 AM
Pilot Peak in the before mentioned lakes?

Yes, Pilot strain...could be interesting in a few years.

Chris---A historical perspective; this LTC on the BT chatter is nothing new. We went through this during the mid-90's; 20 years ago. It may be re-visited...to no avail as before. There was a lot of resistance and consternation on the idea then; likely as there'd be again.

Frank R. Pisciotta

OceanSunfish
07-10-2017, 09:48 AM
Yes, Pilot strain...could be interesting in a few years.

Chris---A historical perspective; this LTC on the BT chatter is nothing new. We went through this during the mid-90's; 20 years ago. It may be re-visited...to no avail as before. There was a lot of resistance and consternation on the idea then; likely as there'd be again.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Perhaps not since Pilot Peak strain is being introduced? Like you said, "it could be interesting......"

John Sv
07-10-2017, 10:00 AM
Hi,
Quick clarification: LCT are not stocked in Independence Lake. Those fishies are real McCoy wild native fish. Yes to the other lakes.
Also Agree with Frank about LCTs in the mainstem. They have been stocked for put and take on an off through the years and every decade + it seems like there is a big windup about there being a reestablishment. Nothing seems to happen though.
John S