PDA

View Full Version : San Juan River/ Northern NM

yankeefanbob
07-05-2017, 06:36 PM
The wife and I are planning on retiring to the upper NW section of New Mexico in about 3 years..... California is just too darn expensive.

I fished the Juan way back in the late 80's and it was fantastic, we drove from the summit area in Colorado where I lived. It remains one of my most memorable fishing experiences, I've never fished water like that in California.

Has anyone fished there recently? I realize it's crowded at times if not most of the time, but the recent biologist claim that there's 80,000+ trout in the prime section(3-4 miles)of river. I've been in contact with a resident fly fisher from Aztec and he says it's the reason why he moved from southern Cal.

Plus it's open all year, river is barbless and catch/release.

Troutstalker55B
07-05-2017, 07:48 PM
Lived four hours away and fished it a ton from 91 to 96, it was so awesome. Two words - Just go. Have a great time, enjoy the fun, and give us a report. - J.

steveg137
07-05-2017, 10:27 PM
I went for first time in march this year.
According to locals the fishing was poor but that's by their standards, after couple days when I was figuring it out landed dozen or more fish each day over 16 inches.
Fishing was awesome !

Kneedeep
07-06-2017, 06:49 AM
Fished below the Navajo Dam a couple of years ago while staying in Durango, Co. Had a great time with nice fish.
Moved from Ca. to Az. this spring and love it. Its about a 6 hour drive from here to either Durango/San Juan. Definitely will be fishing there more frequently.
It's much less $ to live here. I paid $1.97 a gallon at the Sam's Club pumps over the holiday weekend. :)

yankeefanbob
07-06-2017, 08:01 AM
Thanks all!! Sounds good to me.....all your reports don't surprise me at all (that's a good thing)! ;)