PDA

View Full Version : Streamer fishing for Browns

norcal tom
07-01-2017, 11:06 AM
If you wanted to throw the junk for browns in the north state where would you start an why ? Just moved to the valley from the north coast an I want to start throwing streamers thinking the Trinity, McCloud and the Pit. I'm in the Redding area thanks .

bigfly
07-01-2017, 11:21 AM
I might try the Truckee........
Soft water is best..

Jim

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-01-2017, 11:31 AM
Truckee River

East Walker

Lower McCloud River

Trinity River use to have a good population, not so much now.

There are some Brown trout in most streams and rivers.

Upper Sac, Lower Sac, Pit are not really noted for many Brown trout.

TigerLilly
07-01-2017, 03:38 PM
North Valley is not really an epicenter for great brown trout fishing. East Walker out of Bridgeport is as good as you'll find in California. They are much easier to catch than Browns on the Truckee. The Truckee is largely a suburban river any more and more successful fishing on the Walker might have to do with the relative lack of pressure from knowledgeable locals and guides or simply that the EW structure is easier to fish effectively.

If you wanted to throw the junk for browns in the north state where would you start an why ? Just moved to the valley from the north coast an I want to start throwing streamers thinking the Trinity, McCloud and the Pit. I'm in the Redding area thanks .

hwchubb
07-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Check your inbox

Troutsource
07-01-2017, 08:50 PM
I've never done it, but you can do a guided white water float trip down otherwise inaccessible portions of the Middle Fork American and hook into some big ones:

http://riseuprivertrips.com/american-river-fishing/

It doesn't look cheap.

Here's a cool video of some nice browns and white water:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCHG95Oz5-g

Location is east of Sacramento.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-01-2017, 10:57 PM
This is my good friend, Robby Hogg, who is a veteran professional white water rafting guide who got into fly fishing, thanks to his dad, my fishing partner John Hogg.