PDA

View Full Version : Loreto report from Carl Blackledge......6/28/17

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-28-2017, 08:27 PM
They say all things come to those who wait and today our patience was rewarded with an epic day in Loreto after several days of slim pickings. The aftermath of a hurricane south of Baja with 60 mile-an-hour winds left us with a meager haul of a couple of Marlin and a few Dorado when we first got here. Then the conditions changed and we got word yesterday that they were getting Dorado in big numbers. We set out this morning and came upon a sailfish that wouldn’t eat, so we kept traveling about 35 miles out and struck gold! Dorado were everywhere! My boat partner and I took in no less than a hundred nice 8-10 pound Dorado in what could be best described as a free-for-all. My newly designed silver Sardina Fly worked like a charm as did the crease flies. It was “cast and strip” pretty much nonstop for 2 or 3 hours. We actually were so tired we came in early and when we left there were still 8 or 9 other pangas in the area all with rods bent.

In Loreto you need bait, Sargasso, and warm water for good Dorado fishing, and we had all that today in spades. No one can predict how long optimal conditions will last (meaning no one should hop a plane just based on this report), but we’ll enjoy it while it lasts!

Carl Blackledge