PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about bamboo

Bob Loblaw
06-28-2017, 08:28 AM
I've got that itch to buy another fly rod. I was looking at my collection in the garage last night trying to figure out where there might be a gap, an unmet need, and sadly I just couldn't rationally justify the purchase of another stick. Then it hit me. Bamboo. I don't have a bamboo rod! Happy days.

So, are these mass produced rods like Headwaters any good? Is there such a thing as an "entry level $250" bamboo rod? or do I need to take out a second mortgage to get something that casts well? is it better to buy used or is that a risky proposition.

hwchubb
06-28-2017, 10:42 AM
I'm not an expert, but I have rebuilt some older, economy rods (Montagues). Then I cast a Leonard that a friend inherited, and there is no comparison. I've since cast some other higher end rods, and they are beautiful in hand. I've found the less expensive rods tend to be sloppier, heavier, and not a lot of fun to cast generally. If it's your first boo, I would really suggest casting it before you buy. It's also worth the second mortgage, although I'm sure there are some hidden gems out there. Definitely worth taking your time and enjoying the seduction process...

Baja Fly Fisher
06-28-2017, 11:36 AM
Bamboo rods... I go to a lot of garage sales and every now and then I come across a bamboo rod. Most of them are the nickel dime stuff but every now and then you can find a gem. I once found a bamboo rod at a garage sale the came in a triangular case. According to the lady who was doing the sale, she said that her husband use to fly fish and he bought the pole a number of years ago but never got to use it. Since it had .one empty slot on the rod case, that if i wanted the rod I could have it for $5.00. But I would need to find a tip. Damn, I started shaking so bad I couldn't get a $5.00 bill out of my pocket fast enough.
Here's why, the rod was an EC Powell rod, which in some cases they have a high dollar value. As for the tip or missing section of the rod, well it did have one and she never knew it. The rod tip was is the center of the case. There was a brass cap that was part of the rod case. BAM, opened it up in the car and there it was, a brand new rod tip, straight as an arrow and the two other parts were also straight. I came home and got on the internet and called a guy back East who collects bamboo rods and told him what I had. He told me to ship it to him at his cost, insured and he would give me a price. He called back about a week later and offered me $1,500 right off the bat. I played cat and mouse with him for about an hour. I told him that I was probably going to hang it above my fire place as a conversation piece. His remark: What the hell, why don't you find a cheap rod and do that. Then he offered to buy it for $1,800.00. Ahhh, the price is going up so he knows it worth money.. I countered with $2,200 and he countered with $2,000. That was the number I was looking for. SOLD.
I later talked to Walton and Press about the rod and told them what I had and this guy back East bought it for $2K, I think Walton was kinda pissed that i didn't give him first shot at the rod. Never even entered my mind.
So long story short, you can find high end rods in garage sales or flea markets, know what you're looking at and the "dicker" on the price. I also bought a Black Beauty rod at a flea market. I still have that somewhere around the house

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-28-2017, 02:08 PM
I looked at people's inherited split cane bamboo fly rods for over 50 years and most were worn out, old, cheap ones that were 9 feet long and in 3 pieces with an extra tip in line size 6 or 7.

All section have to be the same length because many have been broken off some.

The most popular split cane rod today is a 7 to 8 foot in a 3, 4 or 5 weight line.

Bigger than that gets pretty heavy.

Be sure to get a heavier reel to balance those heavier rods.

If you want the classic double taper floating line you will need a larger reel too.

There use to be lots of medium priced Orvis Impregnated split cane fly rods around that were pretty good and not too expensive.

Heddon and Montague where very popular back in the day.

Check with Jim Adams of Adams Angling in Berkeley, California.

tcorfey
06-28-2017, 08:01 PM
Bob, I see you are in the east bay and I am in Alameda, if you want to get together at the McCrea park ponds in Oakland and cast a few Bamboo rods I will bring out my arsenal and you can get a feel for it. PM me and we can discuss it.

I should mention my rods run from old to new, from 3wt to 6wt, 6' to 8', $300 to over 1k, mass-produced to individual builder.

So it will give you an idea of what is out there. Besides I like to cast em too...

Regards, Tim C.

Darian
06-28-2017, 10:48 PM
Bob Loblaw,.... You're probably not gonna get a better offer than that.

wineslob
07-06-2017, 11:55 PM
A little late to the party but if you can find a W&M Granger 8642 (Wright and McGill Granger in a 8 ft 6" length 4.2 OZ rod weight) it'll probably be one of the best 5 wt. "boo" rods you'll ever cast. I own 3.

Bob Loblaw
10-24-2018, 02:28 PM
Took me a while but I just bought a W7M Granger Old Faithful Thoroughbred 9050 Taper on EBay for $146. Looks in really great shape, slight set in one of the tips, otherwise original and clean. If it turns out to be junk, at that price, I'll hang it on the wall of the man cave.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
10-24-2018, 04:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0FDQz7PRd0

Some info on old bamboo fly rods......

cyama
10-24-2018, 10:08 PM
There is a great forum for old bamboo rods. http://classicflyrodforum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=24 If you are trying to figure out how much some of the old rods are worth they have put together a price guide for old bamboo. They also have a classified section where some of the old rods and reels can be purchased for a reasonable price. Typically you can get the rods cheaper on Ebay if you know what is what. I think you should be careful on Ebay unless you know what is what. Rich Morrison is a great person to deal with if you want a great local Powell rod. Fishing Hat Creek with a bamboo rod and a dry fly is serious fun as you don't really have to worry about falling and cracking the thing.

wineslob
10-25-2018, 12:29 AM
Took me a while but I just bought a W7M Granger Old Faithful Thoroughbred 9050 Taper on EBay for $146. Looks in really great shape, slight set in one of the tips, otherwise original and clean. If it turns out to be junk, at that price, I'll hang it on the wall of the man cave.

It'll be a 6wt. rod. They were made from what were "seconds" and not used but destroyed. W&M decided to make a brand name that was not "Granger" and garner a bit more money out of the clums of bamboo that they normally threw away. Should be a decent rod.