PDA

View Full Version : What do you use for tippet material?

JAWallace
06-27-2017, 09:52 AM
I don't know if there's a "right" answer for the best tippet and leader setup, and many of us have strong opinions, hopefully subject to rethinking when beneficial.

I rarely use fluororocarbon leaders, I might if the water is gin clear and the fish very spooky. I don't often fish those kind of waters. I'll use a short (7.5' usually) mono leader, don't really care much about the brand, often Climax, and always use 3' - 6' of fluoro tippet for subsurface. I use Seaguar Grand Max for 5x - 7x. It's supple and good for smaller flies. Below 5x I use Seaguar Blue Label. It's slightly stiffer which is nice for larger and weighted flies, and on sale about half the price of Grand Max and only 1/1000th" thicker. For anything above 8 lb. test I'm less picky about the brand, and will stock up when there's a sale. P-Line fluoro leader in 15 lb. is my go to for the Delta. It is fairly stiff and works well for turning over clousers.

When fishing clear intermediate lines, I don't use a leader, just 5' -6' of fluoro leader/tippet material. I overline intermediates by one or two, and the turnover is very smooth with this rig.

You say?

Mr T
06-27-2017, 10:26 AM
I use whatever leader I get from the clearance rack at the shop, last trip brought back 2 packs of SA for 3.98-

As far as tippet, I still can't drop that kind of cash on fluoro, still using good old rio mono for trout.

Striper? 20# Berkely big game.

JAWallace
06-27-2017, 10:44 AM
Fluorocarbon has a long shelf life, so the cost is really not linear in comparison. I date my spools--actually I don't I PUT dates on my spools--and will use it for up to 5 years without seeing degradation. I *think* fluoro is an advantage in clear water. I don't know why I use it in the Delta, yours or Maxima is fine. Mostly just for turnover with glass rods.

EricO
06-27-2017, 11:31 AM
Good question JA,

I use a similar setup to yours.

I almost always buy Umpqua leaders. Just habit. And usually 7.5 ft long unless I
know I'll be fishing a lake, then I'll just buy 9 ft leader.

That way I can attach a tippet ring (I always use one) and vary the tippet between
flouro, if needed, and mono.

I use Rio tippet most of the time, but not opposed to Umpqua or others. Most of the
time i am using 4x mono. I rarely ever use 5x anymore. Been snapped off way too
many times.

When I start fishing the Truckee, I will probably drop down to 3x flouro.

On intermediate lines, I typically go 3 ft of leader.

Eric

matthaias
06-27-2017, 01:23 PM
Im a cheap bastard so I use the big spools of flouro for spin rods (Rite Aid). I carry 20lb 12lb 8lb and 4lb in my pack and tie my leaders. For a dry I would use all of those sizes and tie them into a "tapered leader". If doing a double nymph rig i would run a butt section then say 8 lb to my anchor fly and 4 lb to the bottom fly. If at Pyramid or steelheading, I would run 20lb to my first nymph and 12 lb to my bottom nymph. I dont sweat it when I have to start fresh as I didnt pay $1+/yard for it, and the way I fish my leaders are always getting beat up so I use all fresh flouro to the fly line every day for the most part.

If I was going to splurge on tippet, I would get the Trout Hunters flouro from Idaho

https://www.yellowstoneangler.com/gear-review/tippet-shootout-seaguar-grandmax-trouthunter-orvis-mirage-riopowerflex-pline-dairiki-varivas-sa-climax-maxima-froghair-stoft-umpqua

cdevine
06-27-2017, 01:33 PM
For subsurface I've switched to Flourocarbon exclusively my leaders tend to be longer because I euro style nymph. (9-12 ft) It sinks better and is clearer along with stronger. Do I catch more fish? I don't know. I also use combination of tippet rings, knots, and small swivels to attach varying dimensions. For dry fly I always use mono. Floats way better.

This winter/spring fished mainly in the 1-3x range and had no issues due to water clarity and speed. The truckee I got away with 1-2x until about 1 month ago. Now I've pretty much 3-4x up there and later summer will drop to 5x but nothing smaller. People fart around with 6-7x on the LT but good luck landing a fish. I will go 6x on some high elevation lakes for goldens. But for the most part if you have 3-5x in your box for the spring/summer you are good.

There are so many different ways to skin this cat. Strong knots and good presentation win.
I like Rio products myself.

EricO
06-27-2017, 01:51 PM
Hey CD,

In what situation would you use a swivel versus a tippet ring? I've never used
swivels...not sure how heavy they are. Tippet rings still float when throwing
dry flies...are swivels more a nymphing thing I'm guessing?

Eric

cdevine
06-27-2017, 04:35 PM
Hey CD,

In what situation would you use a swivel versus a tippet ring? I've never used
swivels...not sure how heavy they are. Tippet rings still float when throwing
dry flies...are swivels more a nymphing thing I'm guessing?

Eric

Eric, I should have been more clear. I only have used swivels (the smallest you can buy) when I'm nymphing under several flies either euro or with bobber. I saw a guide buddy of mine use this and I copied him. I don't toss the bobber that much and typically this was in the winter/spring when flows were higher and presentation not as key. I have never used swivel when tossing dries or dry droppers. I have used tippet rings tossing dries and they work good like you said.

EricO
06-27-2017, 06:51 PM
Thanks CD. Guess I should try 'em sometime. Another arsenal.

I have a love/hate relationship with tippet rings. They work great,
but a pack of 10 is like a pack of 5 cuz you lose half of em and
a bit of a pain in the arse to tie on.

Eric

OceanSunfish
06-28-2017, 12:01 AM
SPRO #10 are fantastic! It's my understanding that tippet rings are used in conjunction with indicators. I use SPRO #10s and get the benefit of no twist too.

Is this small enough, these are rated at 30# the loop is similar size to a tippet ring. I use them with a braided loop and attached to the end of a fly line or a tapered furled leader
sepro #10

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-28-2017, 07:54 AM
I sold and used leaders and tippet for over 50 years now.

When I started fly fishing in the 1960s most used the Berkeley Finalist knotless nylon monofilament tapered leaders.

The hot tippet material in the 1960s for trout was Gladding's 'Gladel' from France.

Here are a bunch of ideas about leader systems.....

This is one of the largest areas of learning that we have to work on to be a better fly angler.

Fluorocarbon tippet material in theory will last forever so I like to buy it so I don't have to worry that it will go bad on me like nylon monofilament will.

Fluorocarbon sinks faster than nylon monofilament so maybe we should not use FC for dry fly fishing?.

The larger tippet size knotless tapered leaders have larger butt diameters. You can use this info to match up you tapered leaders to you fly line's tip diameter. The old rule was the butt section should be about 2/3 the diameter of the end or point of your fly line.

On sinking lines, especially in moving water, we usually use a shorter leader to keep the fly closer to the depth of the end of the fly line.

For a simple short 4 foot leader for fast sinking lines in fast water I like to put on a short (12-18 inches) butt section of 15 to 20 pound mono so the loop to loop butt connection is not just the skinny tippet material that can cut into the fly line coating.

For the loop to loop of the butt section to fly line with welded loop I like a perfection loop in the mono.

When using knotless tapered leaders most use a surgeons knot or blood/barrel knot to connect the tippet sections.

Maybe we can have some evening free clinics at the shop to address these subjects:

One night for trout leader systems.

One for moving water systems for trout and steelhead.

Another for salt water/stripers.

One for Spey leader systems.

PMD
06-29-2017, 03:02 PM
I like these discussions. I have very little patience and even less time on the water so when I do get to fish, I keep it simple and quick to rig up. To me that means tapered leaders, a tippet ring and always flouro tippet. Extra knots on leaders tend to pick up a lot of algae and debris, which takes time to remove every so often after a drift.

wineslob
07-06-2017, 11:51 PM
I'm cheap, so I use nylon from Wally World.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-07-2017, 06:24 AM
I'm cheap, so I use nylon from Wally World.

That is fine...just keep it in a cool dark place.

Make sure the smaller trout sizes are fresh.

PV_Premier
07-08-2017, 07:14 AM
Leaders I typically stick with nylon material...tapered...

tippet...for dry flies, always nylon as it floats, FC sinks...

nymphing...the opposite :)...for the same reason...FC is also less visible underwater, giving me an advantage...and more durable in the junk along the bottom of the river

i fish as sturdy of a leader/tippet as i can get away with. i almost never go below 5x...and catch enough fish to keep me entertained...

Maxima is useful for steelhead fishing. I use a lot of 1x-2x FC at Pyramid Lake. Those fish are not leader shy.

Sinking lines/tips for swinging...just a good piece of 2x FC or 8-10# maxima...2-3' long usually.

wineslob
07-13-2017, 12:12 AM
That is fine...just keep it in a cool dark place.

Make sure the smaller trout sizes are fresh.

I go through so much of it, it's always "fresh". :cool:

Morgan
07-13-2017, 08:13 AM
I use seagar flouro. It comes in 100yd spools and is wicked strong! I buy 4lb-20lb

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-14-2017, 09:13 AM
If you are headed to New Zealand for trout you might want to buy some new fresh knotless tapered leaders and matching fresh tippet material.

The most popular leaders and tippet material is Rio so I buy the 3 packs of leaders.

Maybe put the year of purchase on your mono leaders and tippet material with a black Sharpy = 17 = 2017

Baja Fly Fisher
07-14-2017, 12:11 PM
For Baja, CI, NZ and local fishing, I use Berkeley Big Game. The older Berkeley Big Game not the new stuff that's on the market today.
I have spools and spools of 25, 30lb in green. I also use Sufix fluoro in 6, 8lb for carp fishing. Cabela's Fluoro in 20, 25 and 30 for roosters and dorado.

John Sv
07-14-2017, 08:58 PM
What ever was resolved in the "don't use flouro because it will stay in the rivers forever" vs: "Mono photodegrades into nano particles and ends up in the environment anyway so I go with flouro" debate?
I use mono: 7.5 tapered to a tippet ring then tippet, for my shorter rods, 9 foot to a tippet ring, then tippet for the daily driver, 15 lb maxima to a #10 spro swivel with a 8 lb maxima green leader for streamers. Leader is maybe 5 feet long in total.