PDA

View Full Version : Burney Creek/ Lake Britton tips?

drdan
06-20-2017, 09:55 AM
I'm heading out to Burney-McArthur SP for camping. Does anyone have any recent experience and tips regarding Burney Creek and Lake Britton that they can share? I'm bringing a 7' 5wt full flex for dry/dropper work, a 6wt for streamers and an 8wt for bass... So EXCITED!

PV_Premier
06-21-2017, 08:28 AM
haven't been to that area yet this year...a side trip to the McCloud might not disappoint...though now that the word has gotten out...the crowds might.

jbeni
06-21-2017, 07:26 PM
I spoke to a fella at my son's graduation who fished Hat Creek near the 299 bridge, before it enters the lake. Said it was good. That was 2 weeks ago though now. I'm sure Burney creek will be ok... its hot, but that water is nice and cool. Good luck!

Terry Thomas
06-21-2017, 08:40 PM
PM sent.
T.

Bob Loblaw
06-28-2017, 09:10 AM
I'm heading out to Burney-McArthur SP for camping. Does anyone have any recent experience and tips regarding Burney Creek and Lake Britton that they can share? I'm bringing a 7' 5wt full flex for dry/dropper work, a 6wt for streamers and an 8wt for bass... So EXCITED!

I camp with the family every year at Burney SP. No better place in CA for fly fishing. Withing a 40 minute drive you have the fall River, the Pit River, Hat Creek and of course Burney Creek is right there.

They say there are trout in Lake Britton but if there are they are very deep. That lake gets very warm in the summers and turns lime green. I've had fun catching bass but I've never seen a trout.

Burney Creek is pretty small. Above the falls its stocked and can get pretty crammed with kids dangling night crawlers. Below the falls its all wild fish. The big pool below the falls is the place to get your photo for the Christmas card. You'll know the right rock when you see it. You'll need your 6 weight there because the wind coming off the falls makes it hard to get a long cast and cover a lot of water. There are some big fish in there. One thing to watch out for in Burney Creek is the water temp. Its some of the coldest water you'll ever stand in, I've been told its underground for over 40 years before it surfaces.

If I were you I'd spend a day at Hat Creek. Park at Powerhouse #2, fish the riffle and hike downstream and across the bridge and fish Wood Duck Island down to the park. Should be some good dry action.

You should also take a day and fish Pit #3. take Clark Fork road for 6-7 miles and you'll cross the dam that holds Lake Britton. Below the dam is Pit 3. Drive downstream and just look for pullouts. Lots of fishable water, but bring a wading staff, and be prepared to go swimming. Try not to fish this section alone.

I'm headed up Monday July 17 for a week. If you are there then let me know. The family doesn't arrive until Thursday so I will be fishing hard!