PDA

View Full Version : Stanislaus Middle and South

tcorfey
06-12-2017, 08:28 PM
Fished the middle and south forks of the Stan for nothing yesterday. South is looking good with high but pretty clear water but it still needs to come down a bit. Middle is still overly large and low visibility, maybe six inches. Saw all of 6 caddis flies in the air on the South fork. Did get to see a thunderstorm and some snow about two inches on the road by the time I left. I guess I am going back to the spring creeks or up to the McCloud next time.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-12-2017, 08:37 PM
When the water gets over 50 degrees things should take off more.

Early on I usually fish the slower edges with nymph mid-day as it warms some.

In the warm afternoon some big Stones might start flying around.

tcorfey
06-12-2017, 09:54 PM
Hey Bill, Yeah I swung soft hackle wet flys, winged wet flys, wooly buggers (stripped, swung and dead-drift), fished small nymphs (several types that have caught fish there before used them with indicators and without), double tungsten stones in black and yellow and brown, also combinations of all those with added weight and without added weight, caught a few fly eating rocks and a few sunken sticks for my efforts but got a lot of casting and nymphing practice in. Also fished deep slots, long riffles, soft water on the edges, and some semi-still water. Fish were just uncooperative yesterday. But thats why they call it fishing. Even tried an Adams on the semi-still water out in the open, then near shore and under some tree branches. Just not my day to say hello to some fish but still had a great time.

Regards, Tim C.