PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Floats & Finding Clients

johnsquires
06-09-2017, 07:30 AM
It is a often a challenge, for various reasons, to find clients for this type of trip. This type of trip is much less expensive than staying in a lodge, obviously, but for most it's still a substantial investment, and it does require a sense of adventure and a willingness to share your surroundings with the full-time animal residents. But the payoffs more than outweigh the challenges.

I had a conversation recently with the owner of what I consider the number 1 business in Alaska for this type of trip. I was telling him how challenging I find it to get folks to sign up - and how once they do sign up and experience this kind of trip, they want to go again. He told me that if it wasn't for repeat clients he would be looking for another line of work, which was very assuring for me.

So to the client who is going on his fourth trip with me next month and all the others who have gone and shared the wilderness, the fishing, the campfires, I want to say thank you. A very large part of why I do this is to share these beautiful places and great experiences with others. Lord knows I don't do it for the money.
John

lee s.
06-11-2017, 07:16 AM
Yo! John!
One of my best trips .....period!
Just may have to sign-up for 2018.
One thing advantageous for us OLD farts is we don't have to remember too much directions and worry about getting lost......unless the creek changes direction!
Still got a couple shirts laying around here for you and Joe.
....lee s.

johnsquires
06-12-2017, 05:29 PM
Yo! John!
One of my best trips .....period!
Just may have to sign-up for 2018.
One thing advantageous for us OLD farts is we don't have to remember too much directions and worry about getting lost......unless the creek changes direction!
Still got a couple shirts laying around here for you and Joe.
....lee s.

I have so many great memories from that trip, Lee. I can remember specific fish caught and missed (the look on Susan's face when she hooked that salmon). You are a great fisherman and a pleasure to have on the trip. There were times when you would head over to the river and the rest of us would make bets on how many casts it would take you to catch a fish - and it was always in the single digits. I hope you can make it in 2018. I'm old - don't make me wait too long.

lee s.
06-15-2017, 06:32 PM
Ahhhh,
The "Geriatric Journey"......I see it forming now!

johnsquires
06-16-2017, 08:55 AM
Ahhhh,
The "Geriatric Journey"......I see it forming now!

Geriatric Journey is good. Given the choice between passing in the wilderness or in a rest home....