PDA

View Full Version : Tarpon migration in southern keys of Cuba

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-07-2017, 05:03 PM
George Doykos and I fished for a week way out in the southern remote pristine keys of Cuba last week.

https://cubanfishingcenters.com/tortuga.php

The adult Tarpon migration was way down this spring but the total Cuba experience was fantastic.

We had two wonderful days in Havana on the front end of the trip which we highly recommend.

Here is George, left, with a nice one.....

Our 24 year veteran guide Nigreto, right, liked April, May, June and July for the adult Tarpon migration and November for Bones, Permit, Jacks, Cudas, Snappers and Baby Tarpon.

Tony
07-04-2017, 01:37 PM
How was the Juvie Tarpon fishing?

Anything close to the TCL, Isla Sabalo or even Campeche? even Espirito Santo?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-04-2017, 02:37 PM
Here is the sad part of our great Cuban adventure Tony.

We went on the top week of the year for adult Tarpon migration and it was way down.

I did chat with anglers there who had gone 11 years in a row and they said it was the slowest they had ever seen.

Well, we drifted those southern ocean flats for a week looking for it to happen and it never did so we really wasted lots of our time there. That said, "hind sight is always 20/20".

**You can go in July after the big adult Tarpon migration is over and fish for Bonefish, Permit, baby Tarpon, Jacks, Barracudas and Snappers for $4,900/week.

I think that Cuba should be on everyone's Bucket List but I would go in July at the lower rate.

Some of their big live-aboard yachts are $15,000 week during prime big Tarpon time (May).

**Isla Del Sabalo in the Mexican Yucatan is my choice and Jim Christensen's choice for the best baby Tarpon we have found.

I go with 7 anglers for a week combo trip to IDS/Campeche on July 20, 2017 and Jim goes with a friend for two weeks in Sept, 2017.

Jim has fished at Isla del Sabalo for the past 5 years in a row.

We like July/Aug/Sept.......

$3,500 / week plus airfare to Merida is a great value.

*Tarpon Key Lodge in San Felipe has OK baby Tarpon plus larger Tarpon just off shore in schools like Isla Holbox.

*Isla Blanca near Cancun has small Permit, Bonefish, Snook and Baby Tarpon on white shallow flats, on grass flats and in mangroves but is a better for advanced salt water anglers.

*Isla del Sabalo is spartan living in a tiny fishing village but the best looking remote ecosystem ever with lots of baby Tarpon.

* Campeche is a lovely city with nice authentic little restaurant and good baby Tarpon.

All the water is clear.

Many of us put two place together and fish 3 days at each.

Isla Del Sablo/Campeche and Isla Blanca/TCL are standard combos for about $3,995