PDA

View Full Version : Polyleaders vesus Versileaders, the difference or is there any ?

Bluegrass Bill
05-23-2017, 12:34 PM
Hi Folks,

What is the difference between “Polyleaders and versi leaders” where you would use one over the other or is there a difference? I am looking to use one or the other at the end of a floating line to fish streamers or leeches in lakes for trout where the water is not to deep, places where my sink tip line keeps getting hung up. The specific applications/places I am interested in this set up include wading out from shore fishing places like Davis lake or Pyramid Lake.

I am thinking something in the 8 to 10 foot length, with a slow or moderate sink rate and a short tippet section at the end, 6 foot max. Thanks in advance for any advice/tips etc.

Bill

PV_Premier
05-23-2017, 02:45 PM
Verisleaders are the Rio version of Airflo Polyleaders. Or vice versa. Depends what company you like to support more :) They are one in the same.

For the applications you're referring to, especially at Lake Davis, a slow sinking or intermediate poly/versileader could indeed be a good option. Another option to consider is an intermediate line such as Rio InTouch CamoLux. You can fish that with a regular short mono/fluro tippet of 6-7' in length and is very useful for Lake Davis.

At Pyramid most of the guys are using faster sinking lines for stripping flies because the water is deeper and snags are less of an issue. A popular line out there is the Rio Outbound Short weight forward intermediate/S6 or the Rio Outbound Short coldwater custom.

Intermediate/slow sinking poly/versileaders are also useful for swinging emergers on rivers.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-23-2017, 04:00 PM
Some say the Rio Versi-leaders hold up best.

Sheepdog8404
05-23-2017, 04:37 PM
I have also heard that Rio's Versaleaders are density compensated so the entire leader sinks at a uniform rate whereas the Polyleaders are NOT density compensated so the butt end, which is fatter, ends up sinking faster than the tip of the leader and fly.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-23-2017, 05:05 PM
Many do like the Airflo clear floating tips and the Rio floating tip are not clear, I think they are solid green.

PV_Premier
05-23-2017, 05:10 PM
I have also heard that Rio's Versaleaders are density compensated so the entire leader sinks at a uniform rate whereas the Polyleaders are NOT density compensated so the butt end, which is fatter, ends up sinking faster than the tip of the leader and fly.

This is a good point and I am not sure if it is true about Rio VL's someone here probably knows for certain. OPST tips are density compensated and this can be more important on lakes than in rivers IMO. Another good reason to use a relatively short tippet w/ these systems. the OP mentions using a 6' tippet, I tend more toward 2-3' of 0-3x depending on water clarity and size of the fish. the only time I go below 3x with one of these is if I'm fishing an emerger versus a streamer and even then takes can be very aggressive and you'll break fish off on the grab which is super frustrating.

Bluegrass Bill
05-23-2017, 05:33 PM
Hey Guys, Thanks for the discussion on this topic, that was very helpful. While essentially the same thing it appears there may be some advantage (density compensated) to using Rio's Versa Leaders. I'll continue to follow this thread and do some experimenting with these leaders.

I always appreciate the help available on the forum!

Bill

Darian
05-23-2017, 10:50 PM
"....Polyleaders are NOT density compensated so the butt end, which is fatter, ends up sinking faster than the tip of the leader and fly."

Im not sure whether a wider diameter piece of poly leader would cut through the water faster than a narrower one of the same material, but, wouldn't you agree that a fly tied on a heavy hook or weighted would take the tippet section down faster than the thicker base section??

Bluegrass Bill
05-24-2017, 09:39 AM
"....Polyleaders are NOT density compensated so the butt end, which is fatter, ends up sinking faster than the tip of the leader and fly."

Im not sure whether a wider diameter piece of poly leader would cut through the water faster than a narrower one of the same material, but, wouldn't you agree that a fly tied on a heavy hook or weighted would take the tippet section down faster than the thicker base section?? Makes perfect sense to me Darian! :)

Jeff C.
05-24-2017, 12:05 PM
This explains the difference: https://www.demystifly.com/single-post/2016/08/01/Whats-a-Density-Compensated-Sinking-Line

Bluegrass Bill
05-24-2017, 08:57 PM
This explains the difference: https://www.demystifly.com/single-post/2016/08/01/Whats-a-Density-Compensated-Sinking-Line

Hey Jeff, thanks for that information as well as the link to demystifly.com. I had never come across that site and it appears to have a lot of good information to simplify a lot of confusing things about fly fishing. I have it bookmarked now so I can go back to it and check out what all else it might have!

Bill

Darian
05-25-2017, 12:20 PM
Good explanation for density compensated fly lines but I'm left wondering how a versi-leader is density compensated if it tapers toward the tippet section where weight must be added to the narrowest part in order to keep the leader from "bowing"?? Are Versileaders not tapered??? If the weight is added to the coating wouldn't it be evenly distributed over its length?? That might make any added tippet sink slower than the versileader part.

Just thinking out loud here.... I've never used a versi-leader but am not sure that modern tapered leaders don't tend to "bow" much when sinking. If weight is added in the form of a wrap (lead perhaps??) or weighted fly that would seem to accomplish the same thing. Could it be that density compensation in a Versileader doesn't really matter that much but is a great marketing strategy???