PDA

View Full Version : Mid June....Grass Valley to McCloud?

BobVP
05-18-2017, 09:29 AM
Being a coastal guy I can only imagine what the rives in the Sierras look like at this point, but my imagination is pretty good and so are the descriptions I read here. Having just driven home from Portland and seeing there is still snow in the Siskiyous certainly says a lot!

With all that, I will be journeying to the "center" early June, to help a friend in Grass Valley, and then off to McCloud for a tango festival right in the middle of the month. Against the odds I am hoping to find something fishable between the two places.

I assume that the NF Yuba is a simple, but emphatic: NO! As will be the creeks and rivers around Almanor. So that blocks out several of my favorite places. Tough for a guy who loves "small creeks" when there is no such thing to be found!

Since I will be in McCloud anyway, what are the chances of an early Fall trip being any success at all?

There is of course Hat and Pit #3...maybe.

I doubt the travel to the lower McCloud will be worth it until much later...Yes?

I have barely touched the upper sections so maybe, just maybe there will be a day or two to be spent there.

Upper Sac?

Do you think I have this right?

PV_Premier
05-18-2017, 10:09 AM
Hat Creek and Fall River are pretty doable right now. Fish are being caught. With the pending heat wave, that might change, but probably not.

NFYR is probably out until July but honestly that depends a lot on your tolerance to fishing the edges, fishing with nymphs, and how hot it gets and how quickly. For me the quintessential experience of the NFYR is dry fly fishing and wet wading and I don't see either of those things happening in earnest anytime soon. But you could go out there today and catch fish on nymphs if you pick your spots carefully.

I am thinking about going to the Upper Sac in a week...again depending on what the heat wave does to the flows.

Lower Sac is going off, so maybe consider hiring a guide and doing a float.

Manzanita Lake is always a good idea too.