PDA

View Full Version : Federal Bills Allow Killing Predators on Wildlife Refuges....

Darian
05-14-2017, 11:28 AM
One of Alaska's congressmen has proposed federal legislation that would allow killing of predators on wildlife refuges to promote increased numbers of non-predators. I've been following this bill for a while. It would allow shooting of predators from aircraft and/or bears in their dens while hibernating. Check out the link:

http://www.sacbee.com/opinion/california-forum/article150095792.html

I've been a lifelong fisherman and hunter but find this to be ignorant and killing of animals in their dens while hibernating truly disgusting. :mad:

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-14-2017, 02:35 PM
$ounds like corruption or stupidity?

You need predators to have a balance......

STEELIES/26c3
05-20-2017, 12:23 AM
I would bet my life on the fact that the lack of game animals has much more to do with the disappearance of suitable habitat than over-hunting OR predation by wolves and bears... and I agree the proposed method to even out the numbers is rather savage... I would think at the very least, a draw for out of season tags would be a more humane approach to reduction of predator populations if in fact, predation was scientifically proven to be the culprit of game species decline. Perhaps, money raised by selling of the special permits/tags could be used to purchase/enhance habitat and future biological research for game animals in question...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-20-2017, 07:05 AM
This is what I studied in college. Predator populations take care of themselves. We need predators.

When fish and game populations have gone way down due to something man has done then predators seem to be a problem by eating the small numbers that are left.

ifsteve
06-02-2017, 10:29 AM
In general you guys are correct. However, there are many instances, and well documented, where predator control is necessary. Talk to Delta Waterfowl (NOT DU). Come talk to experts on the ground in Idaho about what happened to big game populations after the wolf was renintroduced. Not saying this particular bill is a good or bad thing. But saying things like predator populations take care of themselves is not always a fact.

Darian
06-02-2017, 10:47 PM
The materials I've read do indicate that barring interference buy man, a natural balance between predator/prey will result over time. Now, I get that in specific instances, some level of predator control may be necessary but this doesn't seem to be one of those.