PDA

View Full Version : Yuba & Feather River Mud - Correction

Tony Buzolich
05-12-2017, 11:13 AM
I need to make a correction about a post I made a few days ago. I stated that the Yuba was being mudded-up by a portage and koffer dam that was being built at Daguerre Dam.

The portage and coffer dam IS being worked on but that is NOT what is causing the muddy conditions. I got a call this morning from Frank Rinella of Gold Country Fly Fishers saying that it's actually from a rancher's bank caving in and falling into the river just below the Daguerre Dam.

With all this high water for the last couple of months a lot of river bottom got moved around. Now there are sand bars and new channels where there were non a while back.

Over on the Feather with the repair of the Oroville spillway, they've been raising and lowering the flows so fast that the banks are caving in as well. There was a meeting last week in Marysville about this rapid rise and fall of water levels causing banks to collapse and fall into the rivers. If the water levels drop slowly, it gives the banks time to dry out and not collapse. Or so they say. Who knows for sure?
Tony