PDA

View Full Version : The "Melt" is on...

cdevine
05-05-2017, 07:48 PM
I'm had the chance to fish and scout out a few moving waters on the western/eastern slope over the past week and warm weather has really changed things up high. Overnight lows aren't dipping below freezing and highs are into the 60's+ which has lead to increased flows just about everywhere.

West Carson- Totally blown out. Drove by today and entire meadow is flooded. Flows are over 1200 CFS. There is so much snow up top still I really don't see this place fishable for another month+. I saw 2 guys snowmobiling around Reds Lake and I'm sure they will be doing that for another month.

East Carson- Choc. Milk flowing huge at 4000+CFS. This might not be fishable until mid July. The east is truly a freestone river and the rafting will be epic early. (not the fishing).

West Walker- Totally blown out. Was there the other day and its not fishable and its only begun. Will be very late this year.

East Walker- I got lucky a couple weeks ago when flows dropped to 325 CFS. They are back up to 625 which is really tough unless you target a few areas of the miracle mile. Otherwise most of the river is just too big.

Truckee- I fished the upper section along 89 which I haven't done in years. The water color was very good. I would say Blue to slightly green. Flows were big but def fishable at 1250 CFS. There were at 2000 last week. The water is nearly up to the bike path but you can find some good water. Ants are starting to fly around. As you get closer to to Truckee the water really changes to tanish color with all the tribs dumping water/silt. Truckee down to Glenshire you are looking at 2200-2500 CFS which gets you into that big water. Tons of snags... More than grabs lets say that.

Honestly there aren't that many good moving water options right now. Not saying you can't catch fish in places but its not easy and its certainly a little dicey with high water.

I'm probably going to target some still water bass in the foothills for a little while.

Fly Guy Dave
05-06-2017, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the recon, it saves me a trip. I think its all about the stillwater for a while.

cdevine
05-06-2017, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the recon, it saves me a trip. I think its all about the stillwater for a while.

Dave, yeah I'm just reporting what I see and its crazy runoff time. I mean don't waste your time like I did. There are people who can fish those conditions but I think I speak for the bulk of fisherman who would rather not waste there limited time and resources. I'm been kicking around the float tube/pontoon thing for a year now and I think its time to bite the bullet.

Fly Guy Dave
05-07-2017, 11:00 AM
Yeah, I think it's going to be a while yet: https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/webmaps/SierraSnowDepth/?lat=37.45&lon=-118.5

I think some kind of craft that can be used in still water is definitely in order.

EricO
05-08-2017, 01:46 PM
Dave, yeah I'm just reporting what I see and its crazy runoff time. I mean don't waste your time like I did. There are people who can fish those conditions but I think I speak for the bulk of fisherman who would rather not waste there limited time and resources. I'm been kicking around the float tube/pontoon thing for a year now and I think its time to bite the bullet.

Hey CD,

Get a float tube....opens up way more water than a pontoon. Pontoon is fine for a drive
up and fish, but if you want to put on your walking shoes and get to some of the out of
the way lakes (I'm sure you have some secret ones under your belt, I sure do) the tube is
best way. Not that heavy either.

You can either use straps for hanging it off the back (see pic), or roll 'er up and stuff it in your
backpack.

With all the water this year, gonna be a big still water year. Can't wait!

Eric