PDA

View Full Version : Bill Kiene asked about Sardines in Baja on Dan Blanton's board

Carl Blackledge
05-02-2017, 07:38 PM
Hey Bill,

Sardines in the Baja area is a very hypothetical question. I don't know anything about sardines in the Las Paz area, however I do know a little bit about the Loreto sardines. The Loreto sardines were in the harbor earlier this year which is their sanctuary from predators, after which they travel out to sea to spawn and do their thing. When they decide to return to the harbor, and if we have the proper water temps. they will hang out there again. With indications of rising water temperatures on Terrafin, it's looking good for Loreto this year.

I agree with you, Bill, about Mexico being the best value for your fishing dollar compared to any place in the world. In Loreto you can live like a king for less then two hundred dollars a day including food and lodging, and your captain and boat.

P.S. I just got off the phone with my guide and he told me there are sardines in front of the Oasis Hotel and Carmen Island, and there is Sargasso.

Carl Blackledge

[click here to display pictures]1289412895

Baja Fly Fisher
05-02-2017, 08:04 PM
No sardine in the La Paz or La Ventana area. I would take your Captain's word with a grain of salt. When you get there let us know. The up welling of the cooler water has seemed to faded out. There are limited ballyhoo but they are hard to find.
A month ago, the sardinas were here. There are a few schools but not big schools of small and I mean small sardines.

We have sargasso in the area and we saw a few "grey hounding" dorado. Things could be looking up.

I have 7 more weeks here and I hope it improves

We have caught a few roosters, jacks, lost a number of yellow tails.

The fish are here you just have to find them

Carl Blackledge
05-02-2017, 09:10 PM
No sardine in the La Paz or La Ventana area. I would take your Captain's word with a grain of salt. When you get there let us know. The up welling of the cooler water has seemed to faded out. There are limited ballyhoo but they are hard to find.
A month ago, the sardinas were here. There are a few schools but not big schools of small and I mean small sardines.

We have sargasso in the area and we saw a few "grey hounding" dorado. Things could be looking up.

I have 7 more weeks here and I hope it improves

We have caught a few roosters, jacks, lost a number of yellow tails.

The fish are here you just have to find them

Jay,

My Captain has been my buddy for almost 18 years, If he says there are sardines, then there are sardines in Loreto. I don't sell trips or make a profit if fisherman go to Loreto. It wouldn't be the first time that Loreto had sardines and your area didn't have any. Now after that being said that doesn't guarantee I will have sardines in 6-7 weeks when I show up but with the warmer weather and Sargasso this year It's looking pretty bright in Loreto.

If I show up and there isn't any sardines or Sargasso, I still have Rooster's and sailfish to catch.

Good luck to your fisherman.

Carl Blackledge

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-03-2017, 03:46 AM
Thanks Jay and Carl.....

Carl is one of the leading experts on the Loreto area.

Jay is one of the leading experts on the La Paz area.

*We are very lucky to have these two guys on our message board.

**La Paz and Loreto on the Baja peninsula are two of the best bargains in all of salt water destinations, especially if you live in California or the West Coast.

Spring, summer and Fall are roughly when people fly fish Baja.

__________________________________________________ _

Over my 50 years in the fishing tackle business I had dozen of different people come by where I worked to get supplies for their driving trips to Baja which I think must be a wonderful adventure.

*In the 1970s Herb Faber use to tow his little cabin cruiser down there to lauch near San Felipe and motor way down.

**I had a veterinarian who would drive down and camp on the beach every year.

***Fred Gordon and friends would drive down in a cab over camper and truck with boat on top in the winter and camp on the beaches.

**** Now David Lee and Candida drive down and stay at different places to fish off the beaches.

__________________________________________________ ___

At our shop in Sacramento Andy Guibord and Jim Christensen have been fishing Baja for many years and can help you with tackle and flies.