PDA

View Full Version : Stripers are in the Lower Feather River in this high flow.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2017, 09:42 AM
Johnson's Bait n Tackle in Yuba City said the Stripers were from Verona, mouth of the Feather River, upstream to the town of Oroville.

Feather R near Gridley =30,000 cfs

Feather R near Boyds = 48,000 cfs

__________________________________________________ ______

There should be Stripers in the Lower American River too = 15,000 cfs.

They should be way up the Sacramento near Colusa and above = 23,000 cfs.

winxp_man
04-30-2017, 09:50 AM
Bill,
Yes they should be. I know this from the local UPS driver that there were a nice size school of them at the downtown I street bridge. Now if they they chose to go further up the sac and skipped out on going up the American. It will be an interesting year this year with all the water we have coming down the river systems.

Tony Buzolich
04-30-2017, 10:09 AM
The American has been green for several weeks and looks very fishable. All of the rest of the rivers are still running dirty and high and are only fishable with bait. On the Feather, this has been going on for some time now. The fish are there as well as the Sac but the water is still too dirty to fish with flies.

The Bear has finally started to clear up and is the only other river that is fly fishable for stripers right now.
Tony

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-30-2017, 12:31 PM
Thanks Tony

I have trouble getting behind muddy water with flies.

STEELIES/26c3
05-02-2017, 06:16 PM
Gear guys have been having 50-100 fish days on Feather since early April...
ON Jerk baits, plastics, spoons.
You just have to look at flows and fish when they drop 40,000 > 3X,000

Bill Kiene semi-retired
05-02-2017, 08:35 PM
I heard the conventional guys were doing well.......

STEELIES/26c3
05-12-2017, 04:13 PM
I heard the conventional guys were doing well.......

Yeah, I wasn't speaking for myself... I never fish the Feather though I considered it this March/April when I heard reports from friends and saw numbers from a few guides including JD Richey who were putting up such big numbers. It was at a time when the AR water was too high and too cold to catch many... Honestly though... I wouldn't trade the relative solitude of striper hunting on our little gem, the American River. I catch fewer than the Delta and Sac and Feather River guys but the quality is much better. I like eating schoolie stripers but I like catching and releasing monsters a whole lot more~;)