PDA

View Full Version : Extra spool for 5wt Reel - What do I put on it?

Jeff F
04-21-2017, 10:33 AM
I've got an extra spool for a new Galvan Rush reel (5wt). Got the basic floater on my main spool. Not really sure what to put on the extra spool.

I'm looking for a line that I can use on both rivers and lakes. Nothing really specialized, or too heavy, but just a good all-around line I can use to get a little deeper in lakes, and deeper when swinging flies in rivers.

So if you had only one extra spool for a 5wt, what would you put on it?

Thanks.

~Jeff

PV_Premier
04-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Given what you said about getting deeper in stillwater and moving water, a good option would be an intermediate sinking tip line or S3 tip line.

I have a Lamson reel with 3 total spools. I use it on both #5 and #6 rods. My line arsenal on that reel is a WF5F, WF6F, and WF6I.

If I was using it exclusively on a #6, I would swap out the WF5F for something like a S6 streamer tip or perhaps a more specialized type of nymphing line like a Rio Indicator.

Another consideration is to have two different types of floating lines, such as WF and a DT.

Really depends on your overall fishing habits...

pgw
04-21-2017, 11:23 AM
Another consideration is to have two different types of floating lines, such as WF and a DT.

Really depends on your overall fishing habits...

You could make the second floater a WF7 to use when short line nymphing (upstream high sticking) to have enough line weight in 8 to 12 feet of line to load the rod...I used to nymph the Upper Sac with a couple of older locals who used 8 weight lines on their 6 weight rods for that reason.

Have fun,

Paul

Larry S
04-21-2017, 12:23 PM
Jeff,
Another idea is something like the Teeny T-200 (24-ft sink tip and 66-ft floating
running line.) I use it in the surf on 5 and 6 wt rods. Should work fine in streams
and lakes, as well. $75. Made by Cortland. The running line has a little stretch
which I deal with before casting.
Best to you,
Larry S
Sun Diego

John Sv
04-21-2017, 01:00 PM
My second line is one of those clear tip intermediate-tipped lines. I think the gist is it sits below the surface and doesn't leave a big footprint on the water surface. Kinda cool BUT I also think you can achieve the same thing with a long leader. I'll be the serious lake fishers on here will disagree. If I had it to do over I'd get a heavy sink tip instead...

Jeff C.
04-21-2017, 01:15 PM
I liked the Rio 200 grain DC line on a second spool when I was strictly a single hander. Like the Teeny 200 it has a 24 ft head but the head is density compensated. Works good on the A too when the flows are normal.

lee s.
04-21-2017, 03:52 PM
I'd rig up a shooting head system and cover ALL the bases.....20# amnesia and 7wt heads, floating to type VI, and you are all set.
....lee s.

Charlie S
04-21-2017, 04:39 PM
Rio Versi-Tip. Give you the ability to go to floating, Intermediate, Type 3 and Type 6 tips. Come on up and fish Lee. I's really like to take you out on some of our local lakes.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
04-21-2017, 06:46 PM
For moving water get some Versi or Poly leaders and put them on the end of your floating line for swinging a little deeper.

For Stillwater get a WF5I clear camo slow sinking full line.

Idadon
04-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Rio Skagit Trout Max 11ft head with shooting line. Makes a really fun single hand Spey casting rig. I've got a 5 wt Sage RP? and using the number #2 200 grain. A short length of T-8 and ready to go.