PDA

View Full Version : Delta condition resurces

Sheepdog8404
04-05-2017, 09:31 PM
Wonder what you guys use for checking the conditions of the delta before heading out. I've been looking for a topo map to find the flats everyone seems to target. Tide conditions and anything else would be great too. I've found a couple different sources that should work but I'd like to see if anyone else has better options.

Found this tide chart that seems decent http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/locations/5345.html

And this topo map that's alright but I'd like something that I could keep on the boat. Maybe even a waterproof one? http://www.topozone.com/california/contra-costa-ca/area/sacramento-san-joaquin-delta/

Thanks for the help!

Darian
04-05-2017, 10:03 PM
I use a Auto Club map for general surface/roads but when I'm in the boat, I use the GPS function or chip in my fish finder to navigate. When you've located a high percentage spot, you can enter a waypoint on the fish finder. For tides, I use WWW.saltwatertides.com . Very convenient. If you really want a topo map, you could Google Earth and print the sections you want to try.

Spicytuna1
04-06-2017, 09:35 AM
Navionics boating app

Never need a map again

briansII
04-07-2017, 08:49 AM
These are basic maps.

http://www.californiadeltamaps.com/

You can find navigational charts for download or buy hard copies too.

But like the above says, a phone/tablet/iPad app, and fish finder/gps unit is the way to go. You'll get all the detail you desire, along with tide info. You can use these to study the Delta from home.

Darian
04-07-2017, 09:28 AM
An on-line source for current/forecast weather conditions is www.windfinder.com . Has wind speed, direction, air temps, rain, etc. There're stations all around the bay area and it's free on-line. You can get windfinder as an app as well.

Sheepdog8404
04-07-2017, 12:01 PM
Thanks for all the help and the links! I didn't know if cell service was good down there to use a phone so I figured having a waterproof hard copy would be nice to have. Shoot, why not carry both, right?

Now just to find out which conditions are best to fish....

JAWallace
04-07-2017, 01:24 PM
Once you choose two or three areas of interest, you can call the marinas that are close by, besides using some of the apps and other resources mentioned here. As to on the boat info, I carry an old fashioned paper Delta map but 95% of the time depend on the Navionics chip. Depending on a cellphone app for location is dangerous. If you lose a signal it can show you in the wrong place, ask me how I know!

Spicytuna1
04-07-2017, 01:58 PM
JAW

Curious as to what app led you astray??

I use Navionics and service or not it always tracks me, my line, and my speed.

I also use their ski app when I am snowboarding and same thing service or not it works.

JAWallace
04-07-2017, 02:01 PM
It was the Navionics app, before the current chip. If you didn't get a cell signal, it didn't work.

Spicytuna1
04-07-2017, 02:31 PM
Good to know.

I will make sure I stay on top of updates when they come out.

briansII
04-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Thanks for all the help and the links! I didn't know if cell service was good down there to use a phone so I figured having a waterproof hard copy would be nice to have. Shoot, why not carry both, right?

Now just to find out which conditions are best to fish....

I carried both for the first few years. The Delta is so big, it helps to use both map and GPS to navigate.

For water conditions, you'll need to do your homework. CDEC(Ca. Data Exchange Center)has stations throughout Ca., and the Delta. Many of the Delta stations will give you temp, and "turbidity". It will take time to figure out all that stuff(fishing, water, weather, etc), but it's part of paying your Delta dues.

briansII