PDA

View Full Version : Truckee Update

cdevine
04-05-2017, 12:46 PM
Seems like the Big T is one of the better bets in terms of moving water right now in the north part of the state. Not the only option but definitely a solid one. Water is big but clarity isn't bad. Its a big river right now but you can break it down and really key in on where fish are podding. I've had the chance to get out a few times recently and similar to what others have reported its been good to very good at times. Still the truckee so fish aren't jumping in your net but if you find good soft water in lower gradient areas (think near banks) you should locate some fish. I've been using the typically winter stuff. (worms, eggs, stones, crays). One tip that I definitely employed on my last tip was tippet size. Don't go any lower than 3x. And honestly you can get away with 2x in this big water. You are just going to lose flies and fish in these flows if you tie on 4-5x. If you are throwing streamers think 0X Mono.

I've been tight lining mainly these days using Rio's 2 tone indicator line. The more I move away from the bobber the better my results seem to get. Not saying there isn't a place for it and/or situation but the Big T is a really good high stick venue.

Met a few really nice folks out there. Some fishing and others enjoying the beginning of spring with a stroll along the river. Looks like mother nature is coming back this weekend.... I think the Big T stays "Big" all summer. There is still so much snow up top.... We needed this.1283412835

EricO
04-06-2017, 09:04 AM
Great report CD. I've never fished it above 700 cfs, but may need to take a look after
this storm. I almost always use 3x on the Big T....cuz if you hook a big boy 4x isn't
gonna cut it. Actually, I use 4x is spring/summer.

I've been using Rio's InTouch Gold on most of my rods. Seems to be a good all around
line whether nymphing or casting dries. Not as stretchy as the regular Rio Gold and
doesn't coil up.

Thanks for the update!

EricO

cdevine
04-08-2017, 07:45 AM
Great report CD. I've never fished it above 700 cfs, but may need to take a look after
this storm. I almost always use 3x on the Big T....cuz if you hook a big boy 4x isn't
gonna cut it. Actually, I use 4x is spring/summer.

I've been using Rio's InTouch Gold on most of my rods. Seems to be a good all around
line whether nymphing or casting dries. Not as stretchy as the regular Rio Gold and
doesn't coil up.

Thanks for the update!

EricO

Thx Erico. I think there are a good # of people (including me) who are pleasantly surprised about how well the river held during the drought and how well it has fished at these levels. That is the feedback I hear when I talk to folks who are regulars and pretty much my experience as well when I get out. I will be the first to admit I wasn't that confident fishing it over 1k CFS. But you just have to adapt and change your approach a little. I doubt we will see 700 anytime before the late fall this year (if at all). At least east of truckee I should say. Its pretty cool looking at her size and power though. Looks like a big steelhead river with that greenish tint.

I'm with you. I often use 4x in summer/fall and I will drop to 5x if the water gets really clear and low. But these flows... 2-3x baby. Rope em in! Just kidding. If you get out just think weight and throw on some meat.

Take care and hope you get out.