PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for a rear deck for my pontoon

Woodman
04-03-2017, 08:43 PM
I have Scadden Rampage, and I want to build a rigid deck for the area behind the seat. The deck will mostly be for my dog to ride on, but I also want my daughter to be able to ride in a folding chair, and I'd like to be able to stand up (or at least kneel on it) to fish from when anchored in a lake.

Light weight, rigid, waterproof, non-slip...anyone have ideas besides good old plywood and varnish?

Ryan
04-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Good old plywood and rubber spray? I've done this before for a 1 man makeshift platform and it worked great on my old pontoon. I also used plywood, paint, then marine carpet on my current scadden pontoon/raft. I plan on using it more for ponds and stripers so I won't have wet wading boots on the carpet very often though.

JayDubP
04-04-2017, 09:54 AM
Scadden X5 frame will fit on the Rampage. Maybe Dave has some left over or some used ones-- or maybe they have just the rear part of the frame. Would cost more but would increase the resale value.

Here is link to a Craigslist ad for a Scadden frame for $125- https://eastidaho.craigslist.org/spo/6007302601.html

Woodman
04-11-2017, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the idea. I'll give Dave a call. If nothing else its always an interesting conversation.

JayDubP
04-13-2017, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the idea. I'll give Dave a call. If nothing else its always an interesting conversation.

I agree on that. Best conversation I ever had with Dave was when I was wearing waders so I did not worry about how deep the "stuff" was being spread. He is a good guy who is great for the industry and a good source of info, as long as you filter what he is saying, especially when it comes to the kind of whitewater his boats will handle.

A Side Thought: I have used a pool "noodle" - with one lengthwise slice -- pushed it/glued it over the edge of plywood, so the only thing touching the inflatable was the plastic pool noodle.... You could use copper pipe insulation which is already cut, but the pool noodle is bigger diameter and the colors are cooler. Dollar Store had them, but so does Wally World and pool supply stores.

Let us know how it all turns out. This seems to be a need for a lot of pontoon/raft people.

Jim

JAWallace
04-13-2017, 05:11 PM
Depends somewhat on how picky you are about aesthetics. One good but more expensive option would be an 1/8th" diamond plate aluminum deck. It would definitely be lighter than most anything else and look great. You can have them cut to your specs, or find a 4' x 4' piece for around $50 and cut yourself.

Another option is fiberglassing over closed cell foam with a 1/4" plywood bottom. That will be a little lighter than 5/8" ply and you don't need marine grade for the deck if it's well sealed, and you can color and mold in whatever you like including ledges which would be problematic with aluminum. For me I'd go with the tin solution hands down.