PDA

View Full Version : What are you looking for here on our forum?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2017, 06:45 AM
Some help with your casting, fly tying classes, a guided trip, travel, equipment, local fishing info, or searching our classifieds?

This is a great place to post questions about anything to do with fly fishing or fly tying.

Let us know what you need and collectively our wonderful members will try to help you.

Spring is near so getting things planned is a good idea.

yubaman
03-20-2017, 06:54 AM
Bill,

I need the rivers to go down. Any help would be appreciated:cool:!!!!! LOL.

Bob

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-20-2017, 06:58 AM
I will work on it Bob.......

**Early on we might have to fish bass & panfish, Stripers, trout lakes and spring creeks but our mid-summer and fall fishing should be much better now with all this snow.

EricO
03-20-2017, 03:48 PM
Bill,

I need the rivers to go down. Any help would be appreciated:cool:!!!!! LOL.

Bob

That's funny Yubaman! Lol!

Eric

mogaru
03-21-2017, 03:22 PM
I've been reading fly fishing boards since they started and like fishing itself have been going down the tubes. Boards used to reflect the fishing trips, the catches and the excitement. As the fisheries declined so the boards and the excitement. In the absence of fish, fly fishing and more specifically two handed fly fishing has evolved to a boring and continuous talk about rods and lines and distance. The catches far and few, and that my friends is what brings the excitement and ultimately sales for the retailers. People used to share things on the boards, now they are afraid to post a picture or name a river or what fly worked that day to avoid the critics of the politically correct crowd.

cdevine
03-21-2017, 04:21 PM
I,ve been reading fly fishing boards since they started and like fishing itself have been going down the tubes. Boards used to reflect the fishing trips, the catches and the excitement. As the fisheries declined so the boards and the excitement. In the absence of fish, fly fishing and more specifically two handed fly fishing has evolved to a boring and continuos talk about rods and lines and distance. The catches far and few, and that my friends is what brings the excitement and ultimately sales for the retailers. People used to share things on the boards, now they are afraid to post a picture or name a river or what fly worked that day to avoid the critics of the politically correct crowd.

I don't mean to sound negative but I can definitely side with the above poster. I like to share my successes and failures on the board fishing. I post reports and updates from my perspective. I would say I fish quite a bit more than the average angler. I'm blessed and take full opportunity of the situation. But some people calling others out on this board as if you gave GPS coordinates on where the fish are is ridiculous. Most people will never invest the time and energy to go. They just won't. People are busy and lead lives outside of fishing. Some are lazy. Who knows. Furthermore conditions change and fish move. What worked today might not work tomorrow. Best thing to do is actually fish. Just go and see. Some of my best days are when conditions weren't that great.

Its not all bad though. Some people share a lot and give great updates. They provide honest feedback. They are trying to help out in many ways and get people excited about the sport.

I would love to see more pictures and updates. Sometimes just a shot of the river or lake is worth more than a blog. But these days I get a lot more out of the classified section(s) than I do on the actual topics of fly fishing.

luckydude
03-21-2017, 04:54 PM
I dunno how serious the question was but as a so-so fly fisherman, here's what I want.

I want to get connected to local people.

I want to learn about great places to go (I went to the Bob because of this forum)

I want to learn how to be better at this sport. I can cast but I'd like to learn about switch rods, spey rods, better casting, better fishing.

I want great deals on used stuff and I want to provide great deals on used stuff.

I want to learn about new equipment.

I want to learn about existing equipment (the whole fast/slow discussion).

I want to learn about fishing for stripers.

I don't want to learn about indicator fishing. If I wanted to bobber fish I'd cut bait.

So I guess I want to learn as much as I can, maybe meet some people, but learn, learn, learn.

I'm an engineer, learning is what I do.

Bryan Morgan
03-21-2017, 05:55 PM
Check out Granite Bay or CFfU, they are a wealth of info. Call the shop for info on these clubs.

John H
03-21-2017, 08:40 PM
Good question. Tons of people view the board. They are all looking for something. I have been looking at the board for about 12 years and have learned a lot from the board. I get ideas on where to fish, what other people are doing, conditions on local waters and generally what is going on in the world of fishing. Spirited debate is interesting to look at if everyone is respectful which is usually the case here. Guide reports are good and I hope they keep coming. I could list more but that is basically it. In exchange for what I have gotten from the board I feel I should give something back so I make photo reports when I have something I think people would enjoy seeing. Hopefully people will continue to post and contribute so we have something to look at.

jbird
03-23-2017, 06:32 AM
Interesting topic
This forum started out with a comradery you couldn't find in any other forum. It was moderated by the people and it was a treasure of pictures and stories and golden information. I personally posted hundreds of reports here. Eventually the riff raff started to show up and the pot started to boil. It seemed like one continuous argument. Eventually the originators of this forum faded off into the sunset sick of the drama. Good ole Bill kiene was and is always such a class act. He hung in there with such a kind heart thru thick and thin. I felt so bad for him watching this family scatter to the wind. I don't even know if it's changed cause I'm rarely here anymore. Maybe check in a few times a year now. I'm sure there's some really great new members here.
I think social media has largely bred a generation that loves to argue in anonymity. It way transcends the fishing forums. It's everywhere you look. In some ways I wish a big lightning bolt would just strike the the www and fry the whole internet machine so we could get back to being civil

EricO
03-23-2017, 10:11 AM
Interesting topic
This forum started out with a comradery you couldn't find in any other forum. It was moderated by the people and it was a treasure of pictures and stories and golden information. I personally posted hundreds of reports here. Eventually the riff raff started to show up and the pot started to boil. It seemed like one continuous argument. Eventually the originators of this forum faded off into the sunset sick of the drama. Good ole Bill kiene was and is always such a class act. He hung in there with such a kind heart thru thick and thin. I felt so bad for him watching this family scatter to the wind. I don't even know if it's changed cause I'm rarely here anymore. Maybe check in a few times a year now. I'm sure there's some really great new members here.
I think social media has largely bred a generation that loves to argue in anonymity. It way transcends the fishing forums. It's everywhere you look. In some ways I wish a big lightning bolt would just strike the the www and fry the whole internet machine so we could get back to being civil

One only has to read the comments at the bottom of any article and the vitriol is rampant. I don't even bother
posting comments to articles. Also, just way too many trolls trying to stir up crap. Hell, even on many youtube
videos where there are good tutorials, you read comments and people are just ripping the person who posted it.

Uh, then don't frickin read it. I guess I find it somewhat surprising people can be so hateful and mean with a keyboard, but if
you were right in front of that person, they would NEVER say something so rude.

Way too many Keyboard Warriors.

But that said, I don't find people being rude here much. Sure, the occasional Steelhead rant or rip, but
Bill put a kabosh on the rude posters by simply removing their posts.

Great job Bill....love the forum!

Eric O

EricO
03-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Jbird,

Btw, are you still woodworking and making those cool ass flyboxes? I always liked seeing
the burl wood and your innovative creations.

Eric

steveg137
03-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Bill
I love the forum.
Particularly fishing reports, tips and info, things for sale.
There are so many expert brothers and sisters of the angle.
Nothing missing for me.

Dave E.
03-24-2017, 07:48 AM
Hi Bill,

I come here to see what others are up to and what's going on in the area in general. The Classifieds are interesting, though I look at them often to see what some of my old buds have learned that they can live without or as trip down a gear driven memory lane.

I'll bite on almost anything to do with boating, so each time you post on that subject you're post is probably getting a look from me.

Things dealing with camping ( gear to spots - I think we all miss Camp Orange. ), hike ins, lake fishing, stripers, trout and DIY saltwater including lodging, boat rentals, travel tips, etc. are top picks. Anything you can add from your base in Florida would be great.

Subject matter I'd like to see more on, Trout in BC / Kamloops, the four M's ( Manzanita, Martis, Milton, McCumber. ), Lewiston & Baum, not so much fishing reports - I prefer to work the problem & find my own solutions, but having a hint of the conditions before hand, any new patterns that someone's dreamt up, what's changed for visitors ( lodging, campgrounds, permits, eateries, services - new openings and closures. ) and fishery managment plans, etc.

Any chance on getting Kiene's American to open a satellite shop up in the Burney area? ;-)

Thank you for asking, Dave

johnsquires
03-24-2017, 08:08 AM
I like the fact that there are quite a few categories in which to post. And really, on the whole, I've found the conversation to be more civil than on some other boards. But I've only been a member for a couple of years, so I'm sure I've missed a lot.

I will say that early on in my posting I tried to introduce a little humor and was informed in no uncertain terms that that is not what people are looking for, "this is not a coffee klatch." My thought was, "Well, maybe that part attitude should change, maybe there should be a category for socializing and humor, and maybe the folks who are not interested in such a thing should just not click on that topic." But I kept my thoughts to myself - until this thread asked what we're looking for. I mean there are topics on here that I get tired of seeing over and over and over, so I just don't click on them. I totally get the informative deal, the where-to-go stuff - it's extremely valuable. I just don't see the harm in having a humor or social section - in fact, right now I think that's something we all need more than ever.

Ralph
03-24-2017, 08:50 AM
I would love to see a discussion group dedicated to receiving regular agency input. One of the phrases I hear all too often from government folks is that they can't get the word out, or that their message is being misconstrued. Let's provide them an official platform. A month ago on this board we had a discussion regarding winter regulations on the Little Truckee and I received a very personal and deep felt email from an agency rep regarding the state of the Little T and what they were doing about the river's management. I can't help but think that type of communication would be incredibly useful going out into the public, and, concomitantly, user input being fielded by the agencies COULD create a useful two way dialogue. Unfortunately, trolls and abusers would likely hijack said threads for their own "amusement" and would need to be severely moderated. Carrie Wilson has an outstanding CF&W Q&A on FaceBook. It would be nice to have something more fishing centric here.

Frank R. Pisciotta
03-24-2017, 10:48 AM
Ralph---I sure would love to be privy to "agency rep regarding the state of the Little T and what they were doing about the river's management." Guess I'm too much of a curmudgeon when it comes to the LT...

Frank R. Pisciotta

JasonB
03-24-2017, 10:52 AM
I browse, and post, here from time to time mostly because it is a fairly civil and friendly forum. There is still a bit more negativity at times than I would like to see, but I think that is in part something that the internet seems to breed. Oh well. I'd say my wants of this forum have evolved quite a bit as my own skill and knowledge base has grown: in the beginning I was very pleased to have such access to such a deep base of knowledge, I find myself checking in now more and more often just to get an idea of what's going on in the local fly fishing world. I do still find myself learning quite a bit now and then just from browsing around, or asking a question or two. I've received a lot of very helpful tips, suggestions, hints and the like. I think there is still room for more technical stuff here; from equipment, tying materials and techniques, casting mechanics, reading water, presentation tips... etc.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with things as they are here. I also really appreciate the moderation here; it seems like for the most part things are left alone, but every once in a while I have personally witnessed a few out of line threads/posts removed. I think that it's key to keep things civil and friendly; rather than a forum to come get into inane pissing matches whenever they're grouchy from not getting enough fishing time in...
Thanks for the forum,
JB

Ralph
03-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Ralph---I sure would love to be privy to "agency rep regarding the state of the Little T and what they were doing about the river's management." Guess I'm too much of a curmudgeon when it comes to the LT...

Frank R. Pisciotta

Nothing secretive, earth shattering, behind the scenes or anything. Just filled me in on the idea that Angler Survey Boxes jived with face to face surveys. The LT has been physically surveyed several times since the winter openers and a reminder about the LT rehab that has been on-going. I basically got a ten year report card in 600 words.

yubaman
03-24-2017, 03:21 PM
I really enjoy this forum as well. You manage a wide variety of topics related to fly fishing. The work put into moderating this is under- appreciated as is so often the case. I appreciate the information that is disseminated from other readers here. People are willing to share information to an appropriate degree. I mean, don't expect a guy to give up his hot run, be realistic. Let's remember not to take ourselves too seriously as well. Some of us are very passionate about this sport, and we have to divest our emotions at times. On the other hand, this is a great means of allowing fishermen to impart and share pertinent information to assist our fellow fly fishermen.

I appreciate the work, effort and participation that is put into this forum by all. Thank you.