PDA

View Full Version : Delta Stripers

Sheepdog8404
03-17-2017, 08:44 AM
Anybody know what the Delta is looking like? I've heard it's still pretty muddy but some guys on Blanton's forum are talking about finding a few fish here and there but nothing too crazy. I'm hoping to get down there a lot this season in my boat! Just trying to figure out if anyone has some insight as to when it will be really fishable and when we should expect the fish to start showing up.

Sheepdog8404
03-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Anything? Nothing?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-27-2017, 08:12 PM
I would be sure to go to Dan Blanton's great message board too.

They have a very serious group of Delta anglers on there including Dan.......naturally.

Darian
03-27-2017, 08:16 PM
OK,.... There just aren't many Striper fisherman who post on this BB. If you want more/current info reports of catches, try Dan Blanton's Bulletin Board. Another source is the website of Maury Hatch (First Hatch Guide Service). There're several other sources of reports out there. Keep looking....

Tony Buzolich
03-28-2017, 10:50 AM
You guys need to get with it. Call or talk to a few people in the know and pick their brain. Bill and Darian are right on about looking at Dan's board. Check out a few of Bob Arwine's posts and then go explore a little yourself.

Up in my neck of the woods everything is still blown out for stripers on the fly, but, the bait guys are getting a few. The Feather, the Sac., the Yuba, and the Bear are all flowing brown. But, the American looked pretty good yesterday flowing a slow slightly green color around the 16th St. bridge. I haven't seen it farther upstream but I'm sure Andy at Kiene's has.

So with all these hints about WHERE to go, get out there and give it a shot. Then you can post a currant report right here on the board and give us all an update as to your success,,,,,,,,,,,, or failure.

Ya won't know,,, if ya don't go. If this damn wind wasn't blowing so hard I'd be out there right now :)
Tony

Sheepdog8404
03-28-2017, 02:09 PM
Thanks for the help Tony. Hoping to have my boat ready in a couple weeks and then I'll be able to run down there and explore!

briansII
03-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Hopefully, by the time your boat is ready to go, the boating restrictions will be over. Check these two links. and read carefully about the restrictions. Currently there is a large section of the south Delta closed to all boating, and a few with restrictions.

https://www.sjgov.org/department/oes/current

Map

https://www.sjgov.org/department/oes/pdf/revised_river_closure_notice_and_map_032117.pdf

This situation should be getting better every week, but also be aware of underwater debris/widowmakers. I personally have not been to the Delta since Nov., but have read plenty of reports of hazards from the high water.

Good luck, and be safe out there!

briansII

Sheepdog8404
03-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Thanks for posting that information, Brian! That should keep myself and hopefully a handful of other boaters from getting into too much trouble.

Mr T
03-28-2017, 08:15 PM
They are there and starting to turn on- went out Sunday morning w a bud and we found lots of fish but not lots of biters till it warmed a bit.

Can't say anyone place was better than another, we did some running and if we found decent visibility we found fish.

Not trying to be vague- we went out of the Antioch area and from there I'm lost- not my boat and I wasn't paying attention..

Bill Kiene semi-retired
03-29-2017, 05:03 AM
Dan Blanton says that March is usually a good month for the Delta Stripers.

Might be April this year.....?

April, May and June is when the big spawning migration of Stripers heard north way up the Sacramento River around Colusa.

July, August the Stripers head back down into the Bays and Beaches to feed.

September they usually head into the Delta for the winter.

SeanO
03-30-2017, 02:19 PM
Gear guys are getting some good numbers trolling plugs. Brannon island launch and fishing the San Joaquin side.