PDA

View Full Version : Still snow on road to little Truckee R?

amoeba
03-15-2017, 10:24 AM
So, is the road between Boca and Stampede still snowed in (it was a week ago)?

Frank R. Pisciotta
03-15-2017, 10:41 AM
Amoeba----Yes, as of yesterday; Stampede Road is still snowed-in.

In my long-held opinion since the inception of the winter angling; officially started in March 2008; the LT should be closed to "winter" angling...give the trout a break.

Frank R. Pisciotta

cdevine
03-15-2017, 02:43 PM
Amoeba----Yes, as of yesterday; Stampede Road is still snowed-in.

In my long-held opinion since the inception of the winter angling; officially started in March 2008; the LT should be closed to "winter" angling...give the trout a break.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Two weeks ago I snow shoed into the LT and fished the lower section. BTW, its 8+ miles round trip from Boca dam if you plan to walk. Flows are in the 200's which is nice. It was a lovely walk and honestly I probably shouldn't have even fished. Getting down the river was brutal and the temps were in the 30's. I doubt I fish it once the snow clears and the general season opens up in April. It will be a zoo.

Frank, I don't disagree with you. If it closed for a few months I certainly wouldn't care.

Artsville
03-15-2017, 10:49 PM
Frank,

how's truckee access now? Room to park on Hilshire and places? Fished it lately.....??

Morgan
03-16-2017, 08:12 AM
Access on the Truckee is great right now! I was out yesterday and you can find a place to fish damn near anywhere! This spring weather has really taken it's tole on the snow banks and allowed access much easier. That being said, the river is also rising but very fishy! Obviously the lower down the river the bigger it is going to be with all of the run off adding to the flows. The fish are happy, the birds are chirping and the fish are swimming. Going to be a great year on our waters!

Frank R. Pisciotta
03-16-2017, 10:44 AM
Artsville---Morgan's reply is right-on.

Frank R. Pisciotta

amoeba
03-16-2017, 01:44 PM
Frank,

how's truckee access now? Room to park on Hilshire and places? Fished it lately.....??

Wasn't much parking due to snow when I last went. And most spots taken. Wasnt too long ago. May have changed. 4wd would help.

bigfly
03-16-2017, 02:33 PM
The snow can be passable in the morning, and impossible in the afternoon.
A little thaw has captured a number of vehicles. ....I have rescued a few who weren't ready to spend the night....

Jim

Morgan
03-16-2017, 04:30 PM
Wasn't much parking due to snow when I last went. And most spots taken. Wasnt too long ago. May have changed. 4wd would help.

You can read the posts above yours correct? Why would one need 4wd to drive in sunny ass spring conditions? If the parking spot is questionable don't park there. The snow is super soft and you will sink like a rock. No need to park in the snow. The melt off in the last week has been ridiculous for March!

amoeba
03-17-2017, 09:15 AM
Thanks again, Morgan!

John Sv
03-17-2017, 10:34 AM
I actually rolled my car over driving out to the LT about a decade ago. The wind filled snow into a ditch to the point that looked like a flat pullout. As I went to use the pullout to make a u turn, over I went. Slow speed. Me upside down, dog sitting on the inside of the roof. By happenstance some buddies were driving over snow with jeeps set up with huge snow driving tires. They yanked me out and pulled me upright and back home I went! :) Be careful if you go!

Morgan
03-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Thanks again, Morgan!

Your welcome ;)

cdevine
03-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Your welcome ;)

Fishing on the Big T has been really good. Access not much of a problem like you guys stated. Still have to walk thru some snow but not a big deal. Today was downright warm. Surprisingly it wasn't that crowded. I ran into another guy and that was it. Great color to the water with a slight green tint. Its cold though... I took a temp reading and it was 41 but the fish seem much more active than a few weeks ago. Didn't see any skwallas today but lots of winter stones, BWO's, and a few crays.

Worked on my high stick game close to the shore in softer water. Got one of the nicer rainbows I've landed this year. It spit up a cray and a worm while I netted it. You can figure what I was using the rest of the day....

Morgan
03-19-2017, 05:13 PM
Fishing on the Big T has been really good. Access not much of a problem like you guys stated. Still have to walk thru some snow but not a big deal. Today was downright warm. Surprisingly it wasn't that crowded. I ran into another guy and that was it. Great color to the water with a slight green tint. Its cold though... I took a temp reading and it was 41 but the fish seem much more active than a few weeks ago. Didn't see any skwallas today but lots of winter stones, BWO's, and a few crays.

Worked on my high stick game close to the shore in softer water. Got one of the nicer rainbows I've landed this year. It spit up a cray and a worm while I netted it. You can figure what I was using the rest of the day....

Nice bow! The river was quiet because pyramid was so damn busy! Good to see all our trout friends happy with all the water once again. But quite scary to see the snow melting so fast in March.

cdevine
03-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Thanks, that makes sense about the pyramid thing. Personally its not my thing so I try and spend most of my fishing moments on moving water. River is in very nice shape. Color was good and fish were very healthy. Be careful out there though. No need to get very wet as fish were holding near edges and in deeper softer water.

I heard East Walker has been cranked up to 944 CFS. LT is running close to 1k cubes as well. Those levels are just not fishable nor safe when running that high. Personally I like the EW in the 200-250 range and LT about 150. Could be a long summer before we see those levels.

Morgan
03-20-2017, 07:36 PM
Those levels pushing 1k are plenty safe if your not an idiot.
Just stay out of the big water as one should on the big T.
The fish still have to eat. Just be careful like you said.

cdevine
03-21-2017, 08:15 AM
Those levels pushing 1k are plenty safe if your not an idiot.
Just stay out of the big water as one should on the big T.
The fish still have to eat. Just be careful like you said.

Morgan, key word being "idiot" Water makes some people do stupid things. Let me retrieve that $2/fly. Oops. Slip. But yeah for the seasoned angler you are fine. I also fish solo most of the time so that goes into my feedback on here. You have to use a little more caution when you don't have that buddy save your arse.

Fish def eat and in high flows that they do. A full menu of worms, crays, baitfish, stones.... All the big stuff.

Not complaints here though. I will be out on the water exploring. Spring can be the best opportunity to get that trophy fish.