PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 7-9wt rod, advice needed for a trout guy

luckydude
03-13-2017, 01:22 PM
Hi all,

I like to fish dry flies, if that doesn't work streamers. Nymphs, eggs, I get it, they work, boring as heck for me.
The "biggest" rod I have is either a Thomas & Thomas 5wt (overlined to ~7wt w/ Rio Grand) or Z-axis.

I'm looking for something bigger, to go after bigger fish. Probably a switch rod.

I'm not a huge fan of fast rods, though maybe that's what you need for moving lots of line. I've got a Sage Vantage 3wt that's pretty soft but holy moly does it load nicely, one little flip and you've got a nice tight loop. I'd kinda like to see what slower rods feel like.

But I'm basically an idiot, don't really know what I want, want a shop where I can go play with a bunch of different stuff and they'll put up with me playing until I find stuff that works for my crappy cast.

Suggestions? I'm in the south bay but I'll drive if I have to, Sac or Redding or anywhere in between.

Darian
03-13-2017, 02:26 PM
Actually,... I think you've given yourself the best advice. Go to a fly shop that can accommodate test casting and go to work casting. If you still want to do some web surfing, check oout the websites that offer ratings like those on TFO's website. They rate each type rod they manufacture to give you a starting point. I have a TFO, Mangrove, 9', 7 weight rod that's slow/soft action that I use for bone/bass/striper fishing and found it's capable of weighty lifts. Maybe doesn't cast as far as some faster action rods but wind doesn't affect casting this rod much.

The point of this is that the TFO rating system started me thinking about this rod and my use confirmed that the description of the rod was accurate. At any rate hope you find what you're looking for.... :cool:

Baja Fly Fisher
03-14-2017, 06:40 AM
California Fly Shop in Redwood City.

Rick J
03-14-2017, 07:44 AM
agree with Darian - the only real way to know what feels good to you is to test rods. The TFO Professional is also a more moderate action that I typically prefer to fast action rods

http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods/professional.html#.WMgBfp3n85s

PS - I have had two of the 9 wts I have taken too Tarpon Cay Lodge and left them both with guides so need to get another one. A great value